1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

The Master thread concerning Cura

Discussion in 'Software' started by tkoco, Apr 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

I use the Linux "appimage" version of Cura. As new releases of Cura become available, I'll update this thread with Outstanding features and shortcomings with work-arounds or alerts. If you are using the Windows or Mac version of Cura, feel free to post shortcomings. Ideally, the 3 types of Cura software should work identically. ( Windows, Mac, Linux )

2. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Current Version as of 21 Oct 2020 - 4.7.1

Shortcomings: For the Linux appimage version of Cura, 4.7.1 can cause a thermal runaway error. Stick with 4.7.0 for now

#2 tkoco, Apr 10, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  3. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

4. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Next, when updating Cura, be aware that if you have the Octoprint plugin enabled prior to updating Cura, you will need to load and reactivate the Octoprint plugin. Instructions for linking Cura to the R2 Octoprint server can be found in the R2 FAQ under the Troubleshooting area.

supercazzola likes this.
  5. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

When you update the version of Cura and options have disappeared from the quality profile, do this and recheck the profile:

Re-enable all options: Preferences -> Configure Cura -> Settings & check the Check all box.

I have found that options ( settings ) can get moved around within a profile after an upgrade.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

When I upgraded to version 4.6.0, I noticed that some of the settings ( reference the above message ) have been made dependent on other settings. Fortunately, the dependency is listed along with the setting.

Next, if you wish to use the "tree" support option ( Experimental section ), you will need to disable the conventional support option ( Support section ) in the quality profiles.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

If you are using Cura for the first time with MacOS or Linux, you will need to create a machine profile for the R2 (or C2) printer. Follow the instructions found at this URL ( https://robo3d.com/pages/cura-for-mac ) and skip step 1. Instead start at step 2 and use the latest version of Cura. Also, Cura defaults to a filament size of 2.85 mm. You will need to change it to 1.75 mm. ( the Extruder tab of the machine profile ) Once you have created the R2 profile, future upgrades of Cura should automatically import the machine profile.

8. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

For those who have not tried the "Arc Welder" option in Cura 5.1, depending on the model, that option can cut 25 - 30% off of your print time. Look in the "Special Modes" area of Cura. Since the Marlin on a factory board is not version 2.0, be sure the "G90 Influences Extruder" option is unchecked.

9. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Another "gotcha" for Cura 5.x: When you create / load a new filament, Cura will not update custom quality profiles with the settings of the selected filament. If you load a saved quality profile, you will need to update the MATERIAL area manually. What tech support told me was that only the "canned" quality profiles will get updated when you select a new filament. A ticket has been submitted on this issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.