1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

The next machine that ROBO3D needs to take on...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Capitalist, May 24, 2013.

1. Capitalist

Capitalist New Member

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I can only imagine how they would keep that thing clean with regards to bacteria and germs with regard to actually consuming anything done on it. They show chocolate and that is somewhat non perishable if sealed but other ingredients may not be EEEWWWW Hey let's go throw the printer in the dishwasher...well in space I guess they could easily irradiate it LOL

3. Capitalist

Capitalist New Member

Chocolate would probably be a pretty good medium to play around with. The water content is low enough that it doesn't perish. Hershey bars were sold with wrappers that were essentially dust covers. The new sealed packaging is in response to food tampering. The challenge with chocolate might be proper tempering to get good texture. It can be tricky.

4. bringjustn

bringjustn Member

They have been printing in chocolate for a few years now. I saw on TV (I think it was on the travel channel) a few weeks ago Disney is looking at 3D printing personalized concession items at their parks. Because we all need to see our name in a funnel cake before we eat it…. Sure makes the $10 up charge and extra 10 min wait worth it.

I do think there is a future use in printing food in space travel and things like cake decorating. My guess is you would have a UV light to sterilize the print surface. Even without that it would still be much cleaner than most public restaurants, and if it gets wiped down before and after each use or you print on a tray or plate that can be popped into the dishwasher it will be fine.

I guess the big thing is remember this order of printing ABS then PLA then food

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey why not print an ABS plate, PLA utensils and then your meal all in one go. Then simply shred the plate and utensils into there respective medium container ready to be filamentized and reprinted for lunch. NO DISHES to clean up

6. bringjustn

bringjustn Member

Or what about a PLA plate too? Then even if you leave them in the sink after a while the problem takes care of itself by decomposing faster… I’ve been known to be very slow at doing my dishes

7. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Or even better the water soluable material rinse your dish instant cleanup dont even have to wait for decomposition

8. bringjustn

bringjustn Member

That is the best idea yet!

Also if your printer is big enough you can just print a table and chairs in wood, then your plate and utensils, then your food….

Or get a even bigger printer, print your house in concrete, then print some nice wood floors, then your furniture, followed by plates and utensils, then your decorations, then your food…. The fun part is the technology is already here in prototype forms for just about all of this. Just think buy a piece of land, set up the printer and leave for work, come back to a new home and dinner waiting for you. Though you might want to check on the first few layers, hate to have it crash on the initial print, or print wrong with say no door.

Ok… I should go back to work… Maybe…

9. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

LOL so true

10. Jacob B.

Jacob B. New Member

2 people like this.
  11. bringjustn

bringjustn Member

Now for some reason I kind of want to print giant custom Legos and build myself a house. I can even have bricks with slots in them to hold windows and doors... need a bigger house, just unsnap part of the roof and start unsnapping bricks. Or I could change the layout of a room while a buddy is passed out after a night of drinking. Can you imagine waking up in a room with no windows or doors? o_O Teach my friends for asking why do I need a second larger 3D printer!

2 people like this.