1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Thermistor Wires broke

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jcman1990, Mar 9, 2016.

1. jcman1990

jcman1990 New Member

I'm very new to 3D printing, and not sure what caused my Thermistor wires to break.. I was building a 3D rendering of a prototype I designed (pretty simple rectangle shape), put it on high quality (.1mm layers), and came down to check on it a couple hours later, and the hot end was stuck in the plastic. Then once I couldn't heat the bed or hot end, I troubleshooted, and saw the wire was disconnected.

So I have two questions:
    • What could have caused this to happen so I can learn and prevent it in the future?
    • I've searched this forum/google for the past hour, and can't really seem to find a plain old Thermistor replacement. Any suggestions?
    Really hope I'm not repeating a post that's elsewhere..

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. jcman1990

jcman1990 New Member

Thanks, @WheresWaldo .. I appreciate the quick response. Would any screw-on m3 stud thermistor work?

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, at best we could only guess that somehow the extruder wiring (maybe) ran into the model and stressed it.
    Under warranty Robo will replace it (with an identical one) but seriously for thermistors @WheresWaldo has the right idea. Use the MetalStud one since it is much more robust.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Any thermistor of that style will work, but you need to know the thermistor TYPE for the firmware to be configured correctly.
    That one he is pointing you to is the SAME type as the stock one so no firmware changes are needed.

6. jcman1990

jcman1990 New Member

Thanks, guys! Much appreciated.

7. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

mark tomlinson likes this.