1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Threaded rod size

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by joea, Nov 20, 2019.

1. joea

joea Active Member

Back on the case after a breather. I was having some issues with bad prints of "taller" objects and Z axis offset.

Before I go into this any further what are the "threads per inch" of the 5/16 vs 8mm threaded rods?

I know I could likely figure that out from the steps per inch, but I kinda feel I should simply ask and be done. With my dial calipers I find the difference in diameter between 8mm (.315) and 5/16 (.3125) problematic and am not certain.

It has also been rather difficult to measure Z travel accurately with the tools on hand.

I considered going to lead screws, but would still have to print the adapters, also problematic at this point.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Steps per mm help? You can get that from the firmware.
    The steppers are 200 steps/rev so if you know how many steps/mm you can work out mm/rev or per turn

3. joea

joea Active Member

Old brain, too stiff. Broke out dial indicator and stand from long forgotten location.

With firmware set to 5/16 steps/mm comes within .001 of expected, could just be dial indicator is out, or bed flexes some. 8mm steps/mm is over by enough to scream "wrong!".

mark tomlinson likes this.