1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Time Lapsed prints

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by AlienBeans, Aug 13, 2017.

1. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

I've been printing like crazy since I got my R2, but never tried the time lapse option in octoprint. Yesterday's print job, I decided to give it a shot and see how it did. Print job was 25 hours and finished a few minutes ago. But, I got an error on either processing or saving the time lapsed video that was created. I'm guessing the MicroSD card isn't big enough to store the video (or at least not this particular one). Is there a way to point it to save in another location on the network, like an external drive or another PC? I pulled the card out of the PI and tried to clone it to a larger card but the clone failed and didn't work so I just put the original card back in the printer. Any help/feedback would be appreciated.

2. Gary Boyce

Gary Boyce Member

Did you expand the filesystem on the raspberry pi? How much storage does it say you have on the octoprint web gui?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Kilrah likes this.
  3. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

Under the file category, I see this: Free: 571.0MB / Total: 3.6GB. I haven't done anything to the stock card.

4. Gary Boyce

Gary Boyce Member

Ssh with putty or some other ssh client and run sudo raspi-config then expand file system and reboot. The card is 8 gig.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Alternatively with some work you can use a larger SD card, but if you want huge you need to mount an NFS drive to the Pi and then direct your video storage to that device. Notice how I am not providing any specific details on that last option? Yea, it is a bit more complicated than I want to try and explain on the forum. :)

The simple/cheap solution is to use a larger SD card. Up to 32gb is easy to format/create/copy over the image to, etc.

6. Gary Boyce

Gary Boyce Member

Has this been tested? I spoke to Robert at Robo, he said the LCD may not work with a copied img. Not sure why. It doesn't make since to me that it wouldn't work but it was the official answer given to me.

7. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

Well, I did that and it rebooted the R2, but when I refresh the web interface, the totals remain the same.

8. Gary Boyce

Gary Boyce Member

Try clearing your browser cache. Mine did the same until I did that.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have cloned and reused my own image so I see no reason why it would fail :)

We now have a 16gb or a 32gb card in there (I think it is the 16, but I can't recall)

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The machine name is likely the only important thing and if you clone and up-size your own image then the name will come along for the ride. Plus you still have the original image and card to fall back on if you can't get the new one to work for some reason.

11. Gary Boyce

Gary Boyce Member

Awesome! I was wondering. I will probably do the same then. Sometimes I have prints that take 3 to 4 days. It will be nice not having to worry about space.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You really want to back up your own image anyways so that if the card ever gets glitched you can recreate it...

Gary Boyce likes this.
  13. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

Refreshed everything and file size is now shown at 7.30 gig which is what it should be. Thanks everybody. Got another print going, so anxious to see the time lapsed footage of it.

What did you use to clone the Micro SD card? I have a USB Image tool, but when I tried to clone it to a 16GB drive, it said the drive wasn't big enough. Clearly that was an error in the program I was using so naturally the clone failed.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

On windows, win32disk imager will do the job (i.e. make a backup image) and you can then recreate it onto a larger SD card (certainly up to 32gb at least) and then once it boots expand the file system... Or you can just use that as a backup to recreate it on the same size SD card with no extra work required.

15. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

Yeah, I first expanded the file system to free space, then used “dd” to bit by bit copy the 8G image to a file on my mac, stuck the new 32G microSD in, and used dd to make an exact copy. Never had a single issue related to doing that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mark tomlinson and Gary Boyce like this.
  16. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

If you did exactly that you're only using 8GB of your 32GB card :p

supercazzola likes this.
  17. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

ok, then I expanded the FS on the 32 Gigs !

mark tomlinson and Kilrah like this.