1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Tried ABS...cracking

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by GAmbrosio, Mar 3, 2016.

1. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

I tried two types of ABS, MG Chemicals Gold and Hatchbox white. With both I get cracking in higher layers. I recently printed a stand for my MacBook Pro and it cracked in three places. I thin the model was 203mm. Temp at the extruded was 260 and the bed was 85. No drafts or drastic changes in temp since it is in a climate controlled environment. But the print was over 12 hours, so maybe? I left it to print via SD. Any advice? I think I can save the piece with epoxy or even CA, but would like to prevent it in the first place. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah those are telltale issues with ABS.

85 is cold on the bed, try around 100C. Your printer should be in an enclosure if you plan on doing large ABS like that. Even a turkey bag or something can be stuck over the printer as a makeshift enclosure. Or you can buy an acrylic one from PrintedSolid.com

I find most brands of ABS suck and I only use 1 or 2. ToyBuilderLabs.com sells some of the best ABS i've used. I haven't used much hatchbox ABS though.

3. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

Thanks Mike. I'll try bumping up the bed temp. Maybe the extruder? Hatchbox. Got an order for eSun today, I'll see how that goes. What extruder temp do you recommend for ABS as a starting point? The 230 C recommended by many articles I read seems bunk. :)

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I always print ABS at 230. Never had an issue really. ABS is tough because higher temps help with bond strength, but increase the odds of warping due to the temperature difference.

eSun ABS has worked well for me for the most part.

5. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

Should I turn the fan off?

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Absolutely. Never cool ABS. You want it to be in a hot, still, environment.

7. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

Hmmm. Maybe that's the problem.

8. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

So, turned off the fan.drop the extruder temp to 235 and raised the bed to 100. Got a few successful prints without cracking! I got some stringing, so I think I need to drop to 230 or adjust the extraction a bit more.

Mike Kelly likes this.
  9. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

Just to add to help out other noobs like me. If you get cracking, use what is aforementioned to prevent it in the future. To fix it? A lot easier and cleaner than glues, slurries, etc. Heat gun. This is yet another essential tool in the list. I have a couple, fortunately, on the lower setting, glide the heat quickly around the cracks. This softens and reworks the ABS, which seals it; not more cracks.