1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer Trouble with Robo 3d fan shroud for early kickstarter model

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Juno, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Juno

Juno New Member

Hey all, dumb question here but I haven't had much luck searching around.

I have one of the first gen Robo3d's from kickstarter and I'm hoping someone has a recommendation on fan shrouds.
    I've tried printing around 20 or so shrouds I've found online that all claimed they were for various models of the Robo3d but none of them have fit.

If it helps I've attached a photo of the area around the extruder.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The problem is that you are in need of a shroud sized to fit the old MK style J-Head hotend.
    You can look around for shrouds with that information, but ... not holding out a lot of hope.

The only one I saw for the Robo3D was an old one that @Mike Kelly did many moons back for a dual J-Head mount.

CAD skills are a huge plus with printers :) But you might be able to take one of the other printer model J-Head shrouds and get it to work.

Frankly I would just upgrade the fan in your case to one that moves more air and you will be good.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You are lucky since probably very few others ever have seen or used that specific hotend on the Robo :)
    I ditched mine for an E3D (a v5 even...) a long time ago.

(I have a "spare" J-Head somewhere if you ever need it)

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The later versions of the Robo (the R1 and R1+ and even the C2) all use hexagon all-metal hotends rather than the old J-head. so you are likely going to find pre-made shrouds for "stock" hexagon hotends and E3D (v6 models) but not likely going to find much for the old J-Head.

You could upgrade the hotend to a hexagon (call Robo and see what they sell them for because they used to be pretty cheap). That would give you an R1 stock hotend style arrangement and you can find fans for that I bet. Or you could go for an E3D v6 is you wanted to (bit more money). Cheapest route is to just get a better fan :)

5. Juno

Juno New Member

Thanks for the responses Mark, definitely appreciate it!
    Now I know its a J-Head, that newer models use something different, and a few places I can try to look for additional parts or models to start from.
    I don't have as much time to dedicate to the device as I'd like so upgrading the hotend might be a distant project, haha
    Lots more reading to do, thanks again :D

mark tomlinson likes this.