1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Trouble with z-offset

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Erica Lindström, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Erica Lindström

Erica Lindström New Member

Recently when I do the z-offset it does not represent the correct distance between the hot end and the print bed. To get a appropriate z distance (for good adhesion to the bed) I need to adjust the z-offset so close to the bed that I no longer can fit the z-offset tool inbetween the hot end and the print bed. If I just follow the instructions and leave the z-offset as it is when I feel slight resistance in the paper tool, the PLA just dont adhere to the bed at all and seems to be ”hanging” from the hot end before it hits the print bed.
    Any suggestions on how to fix this?
    It seems that when the machine actually is printing the z-offset is higher than when I do the calibration.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The Z offset tool (and a sheet of paper for that matter) are usually just a place to start. Then in the Fine Tuning wizard you tweak it to where it works best.

3. Erica Lindström

Erica Lindström New Member

Yes, I know. Even thoug I also do the fine tuning, the z-offset, during actual printing, becomes much higher than when finished with the fine tuning and z-offset wizards.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Make sure that your slicer is not adding some sort of global Z offset in there. You don't want it to be adding anything like that.