1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Troubleshooting C2: It's (perhaps) in the Owner's Manual !!!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by robodobo, Apr 10, 2017.

1. robodobo

robodobo New Member

The URL robo3d.com/manual resolves to support-site.readthedocs.io/en/latest/getting-started/index.html.

There, the Robo 3D has put a very nice video-assisted guide together that go beyond the Quick Start Guide. The manual also contains a Troubleshooting section, where issues such as the filament sensor not working are actually discussed.

I have complained as rudely as I could to the Robo Team that you can't access the troubleshooting section from the support webpage by clicking on Troubleshooting (you're presented with a very old stub webpage instead for the R1, it should have been cleaned up years ago).

I'd also suggest the Robo team addresses remaining hardware issues in this section of the manual.

In my case, I had to deal with four hardware failures, out of the box!!!!
    1. filament detector not working
    2. front X-axis popping out (thank you to Mark Tomlinson for suggesting how to repair this: community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/c2-unboxing-and-repairing.17677/ --- an alignment is also needed I think, Robo 3D should step in here -- this is not trivial.)
    3. several set screws on X and Y axles could be tightened by 1/8 or more of a turn
    4. build plate magnets popping out (fix: 5 min epoxy, dry for an hour)
    and one software failure:
    • Cura (robo version) is an unsigned application and it does not install correctly (in my Windows 10 VM at least) due to missing C++ runtime components. So far Robo 3D has not been able to answer my question about how to resolve this. I found the relevant Cura files at github.com/Robo3D/Cura/tree/master/resources -- this should allow me to use a clean Cura 2.4 or 2.5 Ultimaker installation augmented with a couple C2 files.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Lovely, but we other users can only sympathize.
    Use the contact us link on the Robo web page if you want to actually have them see it :)
    Their actual staff do not frequent this forum.

And you will see other threads (like mine) where there were a number of issues to resolve "out of the box"

If you need assistance we can certainly give you a hand, but if you want to complain this is not the best place. We can only sympathize.

WheresWaldo and Geof like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Great job though on documenting this, that part is very welcome.
    Other new users running into the same thing will benefit.

4. robodobo

robodobo New Member

Thanks Mark, so it turns out that the C2 Manual with its troubleshooting section is maintained in Github -- some customer complaints apparently do sift up here, but are then closed. An example about rods is: http://github.com/Robo3D/support.robo3d.com/issues/8 . Presumably others (customers?) could write pull requests, not sure what Robo strategy is.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Cool, probably best served complaining directly on GitHub :)
    That is what I did for bugs in the RoboOS image. I just logged them directly in the github repository.

I had actually given up on finding the "user manual" for the C2 so -- good work!

edit: having looked that is still a rather cumbersome way to "distribute" the docs. A PDF would be far simpler and a nice addition ...

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd bet their strategy is likely that customers will be taken care of by us volunteers on the forum (@mark tomlinson is the only one with a C2 so he is their best bet on that front) or they will call and set up an appointment with the Robo Techs directly. The github seems ... underused.

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Github doesn't fit with their "3D printer as appliance" vibe they are trying to give off. I am sure that if no one used the github at all Robo would not shed a single tear. I have posted a couple of issues on their github but the response is less than stellar so I won't post anything else there.

Geof likes this.
  8. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

LOL if you think there is any sort of support strategy at all beyond what has been SOP since 2014.