1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Trying to unattach OctoPrint from Robo repository, have issues.

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by WheresWaldo, Sep 12, 2017.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I need to find someone who has more GITHUB knowledge than I do. I tried the following commands
    Code:
    cd Octoprint
    git remote -v
    git remote set-url origin https://github.com/foosel/OctoPrint.git
    git pull
    git reset --hard origin/master

After this I tried to do a clean and reinstall but it didn't actually update the local files.
    Code:
    python setup.py clean
    python setup.py install
    There must be something simple I am overlooking, but I can't seem to find what it is. My previous efforts at trying to build a slim version of RoboOS was thwarted as the LCD setup forces changes to OctoPrint and resets the git origin back to the Robo default. Since Robo is not really keeping up to date on any of the software if there was a way to detach these two parts we could keep OctoPrint current with whatever bug fixes and new features their community is developing.

2. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

Are you trying to simply change the remote on your local repository, or are you actually trying to rebase your work on top of the current foosel/Octoprint master?

3. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Change the origin and forget about all the changes Robo made. Want to switch completely to official OctoPrint, not Robo's version without having to reinstall everything.

4. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

Your sequence of commands should set your local git repository to the right state. Just to be sure, I just gave it a try and it left my local repo in the exact same state as the foosel/Octoprint repo. Give `git log` a try and see if the history matches what's on GitHub.

This leads me to think that if you're not seeing any change in the installed Octoprint, the issue is with the python installation aspects of it instead, which I'm less familiar with :-/

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@sgomes The git log command does show that I am now linked to Gina's original source but now I am thinking that OctoPrint is installed in ~/oprint and not in ~/Octoprint. But ~/oprint is not a GIT clone. The whole image is a mess, nothing uses default directory structures, repositories are forked for no apparent reason. Not every repository is owned by Robo3D on GITHUB. It is very hard to keep track of what is current and what is just messing around with the code.

6. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

Wow, now I'm worried about what's inside my printer... Glad it's behind NAT. If nothing else, this has just completely validated your choice in building your own image of RoboOS :-/

7. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

And actually, to be honest, I'd start from scratch with vanilla OctoPi and add the Robo plugins one by one, as needed, rather than try to make the RoboOS image sane...

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

The problem is that RoboLCD messes up the whole install. they do too much in that setup. And I haven't yet figured out how they did the custom startup screen. Linux used to use Plymouth, but I am pretty sure it has been deprecated. I do have an image with everything loaded, OctoPrint, all the plugins, minus robotheme, kaa_printerevent and Lani. OctoPrint is even installed in a virtual environment as Gina recommends. As soon as you install the LCD python files the image is borked!

And there is a lot of stuff that is just version specific in the LCD code. I am running with Marlin 1.1.5 w/MESH and now I can't use the Offset Wizard as it just hangs after homing. The temperature readout for the hotend is not anchored to the bottom left corner of the screen properly, I don't know what else is broken.

9. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

Wow. No wonder they don't put out new releases very often...

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

It is not all doom and gloom. If you saw the original work on the RoboOS interface (before Robo forked the project) it is pretty spartan and it doesn't even look complete, so they did a lot of work on it that the original author hasn't done. But why fork Firmware Updater is you aren't going to improve it. All they did was detach it from any updates or feature improvements. The theme was forked from Voxel8, others from other locations. They did create the Alexis Plugin as far as I can tell. My image had all the OctoPrint plugins pointing back to the original authors, everything worked, then I installed the LCD files, everything is now broken. Based on my experience with their Marlin fork, I can't even trust the code to run on the printer in its current form.

The whole RoboOS whose concept I think is pretty innovative and good, needs a complete rewrite and streamlining.

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

This next statement will likely rile up a few here, but my opinion is this is what you get when you allow programmers to run a software project. It's a mess of code that exists just because a programmer thinks they can pull it off.

12. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

s/programmer/inexperienced programmer/

13. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Stability. Standard practice for a consumer product, that's way above improvements in the chain of priorities. You don't want an upstream change to break something in your product, leave your customers with a poorly working thing and/or a situation they can't fix themselves easily, and have to rush a fix. So you keep a record of the state of everything that you have control of, and a fork does that marvelously without completely breaking the inheritance chain and change tracking which is much better than the older way of doing things which was "take the working code on release day, make a zip and that's it", since when doing it that way you don't even know if something worthy has changed anymore.

So you freeze things, then only take upstream changes when you have time (if ever) to test them thoroughly yourself and validate all components you use still work together and/ or can fix what needs to be so they can.

Regardless of how close they are to it the R2/C2 are meant for Joe Bloggs who has no idea, it's certainly not meant with tinkerers in mind so improvements and following the upstream developments is certainly not Robo's priority with this product. I would even doubt they still have resources dedicated to doing so (if they ever had). They're improving their RoboLCD which is kind of their "added value" but that's about it.

#13 Kilrah, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    OutsourcedGuru likes this.
  14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I don't disagree with any of your statements @Kilrah, but if you use OSS and actually improve or fix something you should at the very least offer it to the upstream developer(s) to include or not. That also is not happening. My biggest issue is forcing the dependencies and the haphazard way all the parts were assembled, that is the basic underlying root of my issues with RoboOS. I even mentioned this to Braydon, if you take, you should have some moral/ethical obligation to give back.

And I have said all along, even before you arrived on the scene, that this was designed as an appliance and marketed as an appliance, even though the tech isn't quite there yet.

#14 WheresWaldo, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  15. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

He gets it.

Geof likes this.
  16. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

They don't get it :)

Geof likes this.