1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Uneven bed on Robo 3D R1

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by mamejay, Nov 19, 2017.

1. mamejay

mamejay Member

Hey guys,
    I have a Robo 3D R1 with a PEI on the build plate. I use Simplify 3D using the following startup script settings
    G28 ; home all axes
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift Z by 5mm
    M565 Z-0.90 ; set the offset for auto-leveling mechanism
    G29 ; run auto-level

I am having issues with larger prints where the back of my build plate is lower than the front. When printing the skirt the back is a thin line and the front barely gets extruded. This is causing first layer to be rubbish and rip up what has been laid down when moving back and forth.
    I want to sort this out once and for all. I have read about metal shims and started looking at it.
    I have found 0.1 metal shim sheets on ebay. Do I just cut out circles of these and place under the magnets holding the build plate down to raise up the sides till back and front are level?
    I will grab a digital probe and print a mount off that I found on thingiverse.

One last thing. Once level do I disable G29 autoleveling or leave it in the startup?
    Thanks

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Unfortunately the auto-leveling used in the R1 firmware can only detect unevenness in one plane (X or Y, not both) so you end up with situations exactly like you explained. This is not limited to the Robo R1/R1+ but others printers using the same Marlin firmware also exhibit this behavior.

How to fix it is by carefully leveling the bed from front to back so that it is as even as mechanically possible. I did this with a piece of self-adhesive shelf paper (Contact Paper) and a hole punch. I punched a lot of holes in a small piece of contact paper and kept the little discs that are usually thrown out. Popping the bed of the magnets I used those little discs one at a time with the backing paper off (so they self adhere) placed on top of the magnet under the low corner. I kept doing this one disc at a time until I was level from front to back. This way every corner of the bed was even with the highest corner. At this point your bed is as mechanically level as possible.

Now the auto-leveling has less to do and can better compensate for a bed that is tilted. It may seem like a lot of work, but it will pay you back in rewards of less fuss with leveling the bed.

3. mamejay

mamejay Member

Thanks for that. I have ordered a bunch of 0.1mm round metal shim washer things that hopefully will make it easy to adjust the corner heights to all be even.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AT-SHIM-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member