1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Update August 19th

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Coby Robo 3D, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Coby Robo 3D

Coby Robo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

All is chugging along here at RoBo 3D HQ.
    Wanted to keep you all in the loop of everything going on.
    First, we are shipping out printers daily, sending tracking numbers to your inboxes. We brought on about 7 more people to help us build these printers. They are doing great so far!
    With every few weeks that pass by, there have been small changes in the design that are for the better. Thanks to the early birds for their great input on what can be changed to make a better printer going forward. We have had a hard time figuring out how to ship unassembled kits without breaking any components, being the reason for the delay. We have decided to add boroscilicate glass to our ABS kits as well; which will help to make the print bed completely level... The only problem with this is that we have not received the glass yet. We are expecting it any day now. This is the reason some of the March and April backers have not received printers yet. Please know that these people are first on the shipping list once we get that in. We did this in order to deliver the best printer available.
    Braydon and Mike are off to China in about a week and a half. They are visiting our manufacturing plant over there to make sure all is going smooth and printers are being built with the quality we asked for. At this time, they have already started assembly of 1000 units. This factory has the capability of producing many more 3d printers in a shorter time than we can here in San Diego, and we want to be able to get these out to you ASAP.
    A special thanks to all those positive backers out there. You are the reason we are inspired everyday. Thanks for hanging in there with us.
    Team RoBo 3D

4 people like this.
  2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Hope china lives up to expectations and they can start churning out those printers quick like.

Keep it up guys, almost there then you're done with us naggers forever!

3. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

I'm glad to hear about the chugging. More info is better info though I am not sure you ascribe to that theory just yet. And I'm very pleased about improvements made before printers shipped. I'll say this, however; I really really hope you didn't order the boro from China.
    I await my tracking number...
    Dean

4. cosber

cosber Active Member

I do hope they have a good organization system so they know to build my printer here in San Diego. I'm picking it up and it would be silly to have it shipped from China.

5. JasonSolves

JasonSolves New Member

FROM KICKSTARTER:

Daryl Camfield about 1 hour ago

I've just received an email from the team which may help people to guestimate their shipping date.
    ----------------------------------
    We are shipping approximately 50 a week currently and signed with an assembly house which should boost us to hopefully 150-200 a week starting the first week in Sept. You are #1364. Hope this helps!
    ----------------------------------

I've replied asking them what number they will be up to by the end of this week.
    I'm guessing they're shipped 500 - 700, which means I've got 1 - 2 months to wait.

6. JasonSolves

JasonSolves New Member

That makes me super happy FYI

7. David Mortlock

David Mortlock Active Member

One of the team, I think it was Coby, was saying yesterday on the shoutbox that they had shipped 127 printers to date, so your guess of 500 - 700 is way off the mark.

I am in the April batch which goes up to 252 and I haven't had mine yet.

8. JasonSolves

JasonSolves New Member

12:06 PM - Coby RoBo 3D: Everyone should have their printers by the end of September

I think they are getting there.

I did not even know about the "shoutbox" I need to watch that.

9. David Mortlock

I think Coby was talking about the KS backers by end of September, but if they get up to 15-200 per mweek it shouldn't be too long before we all get what we are waiting for.

If people who know there backer number can let us know when they get their printer, and whether it is PLA or ABS, we would be able to keep track of how things are moving along. Robo3D do not seem to want us to know what backer number they are shipping at the moment but this may be because they are not shipping ABS yet and the orders are possibly out of sequence at the moment.

10. David Mortlock

The shoutbox is worth watching at times because you can pick up info there that doesn't seem to come up elsewhere.

11. JasonSolves

JasonSolves New Member

I think it is Awesome... That if we use kickstarter info, shoutbox info, forum info and e-mails that people have gotten, we have an OK version of what is going on. Seems like it should not be this difficult...

12. David Mortlock

You forgot FB and Twitter

13. cosber

cosber Active Member

I got all excited thinking that maybe they're starting to notify us, based on your post so I jumped on Kickstarter hoping to see my notification. No such luck. Then I did a little math looking at the tiers. There were only a total of 1012 backers of complete machines. I did a spreadsheet but it doesn't format well here.
    March: 92
    April: 155
    May: 395
    June: 167
    July: 150

This includes unassembled machines.

So unless I'm missing something, I don't know where you get #1364. Even with the t-shirts and bobbleheads, it still only comes up to 1197. I'm in the May $619 tier. That puts me somewhere between 472 and 642. Why did you get the message and I haven't?

14. David Mortlock

I am guessing he gets number 1364 because he is not a KS backer, he bought it from the website after KS closed.

If you ask the team for a backer number, using the contact me link on KS page, they will give you that info.

15. cosber

cosber Active Member

I assumed he was a backer since he supposedly got the email telling him his position. If that's the case, how come I (or we) haven't received that email? Or did he ask like you suggested? I asked. Thanks for the tip.

16. wrdutcher

wrdutcher New Member

I think it is an invoice number. I ordered a printer in the beginning of July and received an invoice number in the 1370's. Assuming this includes none printer orders and kickstarter orders, that would bring the beginning of July total to around 1200 printers. That is more in line with the estimates at the time. I think we can also assume that the parts sent out to manufacturer's to evaluate their build capabilities were not invoiced, since they were not sold and would be returned to Robo. (Avoids taxes and custom's charges). This is just my opinion.

17. SPyKER

SPyKER Active Member

Well, I hate to assume, but I think at least around 500 will ship from the US as that's just under the number of molded sets which have arrived. Save a few for inhouse research and delivery mishaps, and I think that is fairly close. So about if we assume about 150 have shipped by now, at 50 a week now (assumption from the post) seven weeks to the shipping of the last set in the US. As the majority of kits will now be assembled for less disruption, and the ASB kit printers are delayed for the borosilicate glass, I have high hopes that they will be able to reach their new dates.

I wonder if the China printers will ship with formed packing, like styrofoam or cardboard inserts. I have never received a manufactured item from China any other way.

18. James

James Member

Hmmm.... I'm an april backer and I asked for my backer number on kickstarter an the response was #1266... I did have an late may spot but one opened up in april .

19. David Mortlock

But they only have 1,251 backers so I don't see how that can be.

20. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

People could drop out last minute or whatever and then the backer number keeps going up, I believe.