1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Upgrading the Robo C2 with sound events - Instructions

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by OutsourcedGuru, Jul 29, 2017.

1. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

I'm still waiting for a part to finish this but I thought I'd write up the step-by-step instructions for adding sound events to the Robo C2.

Instructions

This should change over time so feel free to wait a week or so to see if I've added some new things before beginning. I may tie this in with the M300 OctoPrint-Sound plugin and use the config.yaml file from OctoPrint to tie events to particular sounds.

Later, the follow-up project would be to work on an Amazon Alexis add-on which would remotely play sounds on the printer itself and utilize a Raspberry Pi Zero W plus a microphone as a remote to do voice commands.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. OutsourcedGuru

Back from Fry's with an angled 1/8" M-F stereo adapter (since the fan is very close to the Raspi) and am confirming that it works as expected.

I will caution you however that the clearance between the Pi and the vertically-oriented fan to the right is so close that this wasn't really a fun upgrade. I had to pinch the white offsets which hold the Pi to the base of the printer to twist up the board just to get enough clearance to get the angled adapter in there.

But it's fun to have the printer emitting R2D2 sounds to get your attention. Hopefully the gf doesn't strangle me after all the testing. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

KRGraphicsCG and mark tomlinson like this.
  3. KRGraphicsCG

KRGraphicsCG Member

Like a DING sound when it finishes :)

4. OutsourcedGuru

It can be any WAV/MP3 file you'd like. Just modify the installation instructions, bind a GCODE to your new sound and then use it.