1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Upgrading to a e3d Kraken

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Kimberly Peacock, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Kimberly Peacock

Kimberly Peacock New Member

I'm looking for help on this. I have looked over the forums and some have mentioned this and or using dual e3d V6 but there are no detailed instructions for the mods required to get the Kraken running.

For me printing parts with a high z height almost demands a dual nozzle system, and my thinking is if I have to go to the extra effort might as well get 4 nozzle capability.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

what are you replacing the RAMPS board with to get 4 nozzles/extruders working?
    Just curious, have looked at the options, but not come to a certain conclusion on my own.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Most people think about getting the kraken until they do the math and realize how expensive it would be.

Have you considered waiting for the E3D Chimera? It has all the benefits of a kraken (adjustable nozzles) without all the drawbacks (water cooling, new board)

2 people like this.
  4. Kimberly Peacock

I'm not as concerned about price as performance and capability. Yes, I want a good price but not at the sacrifice of performance and capability.

Azteeg X3 PRO 3D printer Controller Is what I'm thinking of using for the control board, its compatible with Marlin, and will work with the Kraken. The Chimera I have looked at as well, because then you can print supports which can be removed (dissolved) and you do not have the craziness of changing the filament. I also want to make replacing filament as easy as possible.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, that one was one of the ones I looked at for the Kraken. You loose a little build volume and a lot of speed, but I don't normally run full speed anymore anyway.

6. Kimberly Peacock

Mike I am thinking in the future of designing a variable conductance heat pipe connected to a micro (printed circuit heat exchanger) this will give me very good thermal control and water loop can be outside the unit and does not have to be pumped far. In Fact we could use salt water solution and bring down the vacuum such that we could get -21 C temps. By lowering vacuum we can adjust temp up to room temp and also allow heat up from that point from heat expelled. It's a couple of months off because I am working on a project with a deadline, but when I have it up and running I shall be positing the design and offering kits to those who do not wish to fab their own. The fabbing of the heat pipes would require Direct Metal Laser sintering.

7. Kimberly Peacock

I will sacrifice speed for quality any day. For me I want to be able to output prototypes that are fully functional. So quality and build volume choice of filaments is more important than speed. Everything is relative though. Direct Laser Metal sintering can be done with a 2 watt 445 nm laser and the right optics, but you better have the particle size very very small and its going to take your lifetime to print anything of real size and quality.

8. Kimberly Peacock

One thing I thought of was using an Intel galileo and ramps which should plug right in.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Well if you're actually going to do it then yay! I had that moment of serious consideration but opted for 2 nozzles (especially since the kraken was announced 2 weeks into my project).

You lose a little bit of X and Y travel during multiple extrusion prints, but for single you should still have the same amount. The height is actually shorter than all the other nozzles, so you gain a little bit there.
    Well that's certainly an interesting approach, albeit over engineered. The thermal transfer from the heatsink is very minimal. A pump and a resevoir is all that's really needed, but if you want a self contained unit your idea is good.

I have a drop in X carriage replacement modeled for the Kraken if you'd like it.

10. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

@Mike Kelly, I get the feeling you don't like putting your designs up on Thingiverse anymore?

11. Kimberly Peacock

12. Kimberly Peacock

I would love the drop in replacement. Thank you.

13. Drakeh

Drakeh New Member

Hi guys. I'm pretty new to 3d printing but have been looking around and was wondering what all would go into upgrading my robe 3d r1 with an e3d cyclops nozzle. I realize that I would have to print a new carriage and everything for the hot end but do I need to do anything else? I'm guessing I probably would have to upgrade the control board as well. Any suggestions as to those upgrades? I probably wouldn't do this any time soon as I still want to figure out the ins and outs of printing on my printer but for future reference I would just like to know what all would go into that kind of upgrade. Thanks for any help!