1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Using Arduino board on Robo R2 project in process

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Lance Weston, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

I put a google drive link to the zip file
    I put a google link to the file in the text section

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. Bemster

Bemster New Member

In Windows exploring the file some files work and some did not. Make sense now. Thanks for uploading as I just tried it and works now. And for the fast responses everyone.

3. Lance Weston

4. Bemster

Bemster New Member

Manage to compile and upload the program to the Arduino / Ramps 1.4 board setup. Need to figure out the wiring in the printer now. Not sure if I have all the need parts. May just make it temp. to see if it works.

I am doing the change on a second R2 I just purchased on Ebay. I remove the downtown board to put it my orginal R2 since it's mainboard has issue with the extruder. Interesting as I traced to to the board but when I push down on the ribbon cable the stepper works. Just can not find the problem to fix. Tried desoldering pins. Robo has been almost zero response in getting a replacement board.

I will let you know when I get this working.

#24 Bemster, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
  5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

At some point it would be an interesting experiment to replace the wiring harness and remove both the uptown and downtown boards, wiring direct from mainboard to extruder head and stepper.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Interesting idea for sure.
    Difficult without reworking the carriage. I guess you could strap wire bundles around it, but it would be rather clunky I suspect.
    Be nice to see it experimented with.

7. Bemster

Bemster New Member

My thought is to make a ribbon break out cable with a female connector that the current ribbon cable connects too and the other end flying leads to Dupont single (or more) connectors. As for now, I like to make it so I can go back to a Robo board when I run across one. Either end of the cable will work but this saves running a new cable thru the R2 cabinet.

May need to do something if the uptown board goes out.

#27 Bemster, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Al of the boards on the carriage (there is the one at the top and a couple more buried in the carriage itself) are at least all simple. Just connectors and wire run redirects. There is not much in terms of electronics on them. See my disassembly thread in the C2 section if you are interested.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

10. Lance Weston

Up top I have posted a picture of the Arduino board that I know works, the CH340G that I know does not work and a board that I think may work but is untested. If you order the boards on eBay you have to specify that the board they send you must match the the board pictured. So far I have 3 refunds and one cancellation on boards that I have thus specified but received the CH340 board. XYL Tech sells a ramps and Arduino combo for around $22 that works well It uses the same stepper driver chips as Robo, less current out but better accuracy under load. I have a couple of them.

mark tomlinson likes this.