1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Using Geomagic to create stl files

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bill, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Bill

Bill New Member

I am in the midst of creating parts for a project that I am working on and I have a brother in Toledo who uses GeoMagic 3D to create the stl file for me. Most of the time the files work perfectly as drawn, but sometimes the layers don't seem to reflect the actual drawing in certain areas. He has downloaded MatterControl , but without having a Robo printer of his own he can't really see the layers as developed by the program. I think that if he had a printer driver, Matter Control would allow him to view the layers and allow him to perfect the stl files. does anyone have an idea how to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance,
    Bill

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Repetier-host is good for that.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

2 people like this.
  4. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I use Alibre 2013. It was renamed as Geomagic in 2014. It often does an awful job of exporting STLs. This is rather odd because it's owned by 3D Systems, but whatver. Only solution I've found has been to run the parts through netfabb for repair. I have the full version that runs an extensive repair, but for many parts, the free version may be enough.

5. Bill

Bill New Member

Thanks guys! I will pass the info on to Brother John.
    Bill