1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

VIKI Remix

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by 1d1, Sep 30, 2013.

1. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Well, as much as I would like to just go ahead and get one of Matt's SD controllers, I have a VIKI. Has anyone made these work yet? I hate to have wasted the money as I have no need of anything like this except the RoBo... if I ever get it. OK. When I get it. Thanks... Dean

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

In the fear of bringing up some bad vibes that were going on a several weeks ago. There is a "working configuration" that has been available for a long time now.

When I say working it was 99% meaning the only thing not figured out was a reset button on the VIKI. It used to reset the VIKI and that was about it. It never reset the print in progress at any point but the rest of the functions seemed to work just fine.

This coming from one of the few who actually installed it on my VIKI.

Due to other hardware issues I had to exchange my ramps board and when I got my new ones I came to the point of deciding whether to go with the VIKI or the LCD that Matt had.

Robo decided not to pursue the VIKI development and approval so was dropped from there radar due to the fact they wanted their own development to do it so they would know the ins and outs of it.

They focused their attention of one Matt is using

Due to the fact I had other issues with my hardware I had to go with Matts as well so when dealing with ROBO I had the same configuration.h file running as they did so I opted for Matts.

The original file was uploaded by Cambo3D and did work as I explained above. I was actually the first ROBO person to print form the SD card and I posted my print on the fourms about a week before Robo and their's operational.

Cambo's config was never mentioned as there were some not so good issues floating around at that point in timewhich I won;t go into.

It should still be there.

But you must know that both Matt's LCD and the VIKI both require firmware changes so the new firmware including the configuration.h file will need to be uploaded to the controller boards in either case.

Matts LCD setup had the configuration.h file was uploaded by Coby
    VIKI's configuration .h was uploaded by Cambo

going with the VIKI should be OK but if you do so and have controller boards issues with your printer you will probably not be able to get much support from the ROBO team as it is NOT the approved process.

I hope that answers your question

3. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Thanks, Tesseract. Now I see. I struggle to limit my snarkiness on that whole go 'round, but I will just shut up now. You did remind me of the VIKI thread but I had forgotten the principals involved. I appreciate the update.
    Dean

4. James

James Member

So are you saying that I wont get any help from the robo team if I use the viki lcd that I bought after reading the many posts from the kickstarter pages to the stuff posted on the early forums here....

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

You can ask but I think they will say that they have the reprapdiscount LCD(Matt's) code in place and when they get some free time they will try and get VIKI going as well or they may direct you to the previous posts about it but say it is not supported by ROBO.

Just my guess though