1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

We need a guide on how to safely update things

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by supercazzola, Nov 16, 2020.

1. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

PIP was throwing warnings about needing to be updated. I made the mistake of upgrading it

source ~/oprint/bin/activate
    pip install --upgrade pip

Now the errors went away, and whenever I try to install some plugins, I an warned about depreciating of Python.

DEPRECATION: Python 2.7 reached the end of its life on January 1st, 2020. Please upgrade your Python as Python 2.7 is no longer maintained. pip 21.0 will drop support for Python 2.7 in January 2021. More details about Python 2 support in pip can be found at https://pip.pypa.io/en/latest/development/release-process/#python-2-support pip 21.0 will remove support for this functionality.

I've since learned that I am unable to install any plugins to octoprint. I am guessing I have to start all over again to flash my factory SD image. Which really sucks !

Does anyone have any SAFE steps to take to try and get the Robo R2 up to some level of upgraded / updated s/w?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No.

This was thee driving force behind a number of us working to assemble a new base image for the R2/C2 that could be updated.
    The downside was that the LCD code was written with a (python) library that is now desupported on the Raspberry Pi and does not integrate with OctoPrint. So any updating will break that... if we wanted to build a new image using supported libraries we would need to rewrite the LCD code in the Robo OctoPrint plugin.

So, don't update the distribution ...

There are generic distributions with OctoPrint that you can run on the Raspberry Pi installed in the Robo, it just will need to use a different LCD front-end (not the Robo custom one). There are several thread around here on that whole process if you need help finding them -- let me know.

supercazzola likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

@WheresWaldo can perhaps give you the status of the generic distribution that was worked on.
    I ultimately just gave up on on the LCD menu and used a generic OctoPrint distribution with my C2.

I still have the Robo SD card and if I want to revert back I swap that in and reboot the printer.

4. supercazzola

I guess what I will wind up doing is try and burn a new SD card with what came with the machine. I think I have to then modify the code to work with the LED lights mod.

The machine is working now, other than I broke the plugin capability. And I really used the telegram plugin a lot, so this will be the driving function for me to start with a new SD card over the next week or so.

Eventually, I will sell this R2. Robo’s use of proprietary stuff and lack of support for it is disheartening. Especially for an “Elite” member that they threw to the curb.

Thanks for your help Mark. The machine is in great shape other than that. I’m close to Orlando, just in case...

-Kevin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Hit me up if you need to get together.
    Or if you just want to commiserate over a drink ;)

6. supercazzola

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sadly, I do not know. I never used the community distro, but @WheresWaldo or @tkoco can probably answer that.
    I have one of my own I cobbled together with OctoPrint and a different LCD menu, but lately I have just been using the original Robo one without allowing it to update.