1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Well, Just when I thought it was all over...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Matthew Bartlett, Sep 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Bartlett

Matthew Bartlett New Member

Well, I've had a few problems with my printer so far. But this one frustrates me greatly.
    As I start a print, the heater on the extruder and bed are fine and are reading correctly. But, while printing, the extruder motor turns on and off while printing it will be turning the gears for a second, then it will just stop turning.
    Even though the extruder motor doesn't move, it still is enabled. (It doesn't wanna move.)
    I really wanna say there is something wrong with the computer I'm using to run it, but my testing proves that the computer is fine.

The printer moves fine, it heats up, and the motor on the extruder is enabled but moves periodically throughout a print.

I do recall the computer giving me an error message involving something with the m999 command...
    I could really use some help. (again) :(

2. TomerO

TomerO Member

I just had a similar problem except the motor was "stuck" at times. The problem was a wire to the stepper broke.
    You might have the same issue or just loose connections in either the motor or board.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Does the whole print stop or just the extruder stops moving? You could be getting a low temp error that stops extrusion. What are you using for printing software? If you are using Cura you can see the temp dip down if this is the case. You should see in the print output the M999 but somewhere in that information will be a cause for that code.

4. Matthew Bartlett

Well, I was playing around with the printer and found that the extruder can run when it is not doing a print. But when it is doing a print, it goes to being a crap.

I'm about done. Any more ideas?

5. TomerO

TomerO Member

Again, really sounds like wiring problem

6. Matthew Bartlett

Well, during printing the axis keep moving, but the extruder motor just stops moving. It is still locked, but it doesn't turn.

7. Matthew Bartlett

I usually use mattercontrol, but I tried Cura and I get the same result.

8. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

So yeah, verify that the wiring is ok. With the movement of the axis it could have a bad part of wire that is shorting out during movement. Make sure the wires are secure and that there aren't any bad wires like @TomerO suggested.

9. Matthew Bartlett

OK, i'll check the wiring. I'll keep you updated.

10. TomerO

TomerO Member

A good way I found to test it is to find a location where it doesn't work then play with the wires by hand. If it changes then you have your problem

11. Matthew Bartlett

Well, the wiring doesn't seem to have any problems. I checked by the stepper and the board, and I don't see any problem. I talked to tech support and they said either it had a fault extruder stepper driver, or it wasn't properly tuned. But, I know it is properly tuned because when the printer is not running a print-job, I can extrude plastic with the manual controls and the terminal.
    Any other suggestions?

12. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you got the M999 message in the console then you have an error in there.

You need to dump the entire console log and find the error. My primary suspect would be the

TEMPERATURE FELL TOO MUCH DURING PRINT

This is called the Temp Fall error and happens when the firmware sees a sudden drop in the extruder temperature and it will then STOP the print. Usually caused by a loose or broken thermistor, but check the entire log and find your actual error.

13. Matthew Bartlett

Ok, I'll check it when I have time, I'm also planning on having a Skype meeting with a technician

14. Matthew Bartlett

Do you think it may be a mistuned stepper driver?

15. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not if it is a TEMP FALL error.

16. Matthew Bartlett

Well, thank you all for helping! I think I have solved the problem. There was nothing wiring with the drivers, or the wiring, or the printer itself. It was the COMPUTER that screwed up. You see, I was previously using an HP touchsmart, now I'm using a MacBook unibody.
    Thank you all again, as I will further test the printer to ensure it's proper function.

mark tomlinson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.