1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Well this is disappointing: no space left on device

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by supercazzola, Jul 20, 2017.

1. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

Ran a 36+ hour print (still going) and I get this message that there is no more space left for the capture to continue. In the day and age where memory is so friggin cheap, and I spent $1500 on this R2, you would think we could eliminate this type of 1990s problems.
    Does anyone have an idea (1) which memory is this? Is it the SD card on the Ras Pi? (2) has anyone cloned the SD card to a bigger one, or redirected the screen captures to an external source, like a NAS, for example? I was really hoping to capture this long print and demonstrate something to someone.
    Thanks
    Kevin
    [​IMG]

2. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Check your SD card. Mine was 8GB, but the filesystem was sized for 4GB and not expanded. You can use raspi-config to expand.
    I have copied mine to a faster 16GB card.

supercazzola and mark tomlinson like this.
  3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Raspberry Pi 3 installed in your R2 can accept any card that is formattable as FAT32, I have one attached to my R1 and another attached to an SLA printer and both have a 32GB card. Robo does what everybody else with an rPi and uses an image that will fit on the smallest card readily available.

Longer explanation:
    When applying the RoboOS image the space allocated on the SD card is approximately equal to the size of the original image. It repartitions the card into several volumes only the first of which (/boot/) retains the FAT32 file format. Then creates Linux partitions (formatted EXT4) for all remaining partitions up to the limited size of the original image. If you shell into the rPi using ssh, which is enabled in the RoboOS image, you can use raspi-config to expand the linux partition to fill the remaining unallocated space on the SD card. You can use the following command in the ssh window:
    Code:
    sudo raspi-config
    You can use a PC application such as Putty or Bitvise SSH Client to attach to the rPi via the secure shell. There are plenty of YouTube video that can walk you through step by step on how to expand the rPi file system.

4. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

Thanks - i bought a faster 16G one, dd’ed the image to the new SD card, and expanded the Linux partition. All set now. This forum’s members are awesome. Thanks again
    -kevin

WheresWaldo, mark tomlinson and Geof like this.