1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

What are shells?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Peter Krska, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I keep seeing post from others stating how many shells they have set in their software for printing. I am not seeing this option in MC OR REPETIER. What is this for and can I set it? How?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. donhuevo

donhuevo Active Member

Slic3r->Print Settings->Layers and perimeters is where you'd set it for Repetier. Vertical shells would be the number of perimeters before you get into the infill pattern. Horizontal shells would be the number of bottom and top solid layers.

2 people like this.
  3. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Is there a rule of thumb when using shells? Anything I need to know specifically for the Robo3D printer? What is a good default compared to one that is a better setting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. donhuevo

donhuevo Active Member

Nothing Robo specific... just part specific. Do you need it to be stiffer? Maybe 5 shells instead of 3. I think slic3r defaults to 3 or I changed mine so long ago that I think 3 is the norm.

5. Mikethinks

Mikethinks Active Member

I often use less infill (15% vs 25%) for many smaller figures and such. If the part isnt load bearing you really dont need much support inside. The shell thickness of 3 is fine for most things, although some semi transparent filaments look better with a little thicker shell.

2 people like this.
  6. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

It really depends on the part and the material. Generally shells give you strength/stiffness and infill is just internal support.
    I usually use 2-3 shells unless the part needs to be particularly strong. The big $$$ professional machines suggest at least 4 shells to prevent your part from being brittle.
    For a tool type part that needs to take some abuse, I'll do something like 8-12 shells with 50-70% infill.

2 people like this.