1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

What do you use to create 3D models?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Darrell, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Darrell

Darrell Member

What software would you guys recommend for creating and editing 3d models? I'd like to be able to create custom hood ornaments and such.

Also, does anybody know where I can find a good model of a Ram skull with horns?

I'd like to make a custom emblem for my Dodge Ram truck grill by taking the basic emblem shape and replacing the stock logo ram head in the shield with a more realistic ram skull protruding from the badge. My hope is to be able to print something that is 'plug-n-play' so all I have to do is pop the stock badge out of the grill and replace it with my custom.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

For organic modeling like you'd see on hood ornaments I recommend something like 3Ds Max, Maya, or Blender

For more mechanical parts I recommend Solidworks, Inventor, or Creo

3. Narnian

Narnian New Member

Mike Kelly has given you a very good answer on this. The only thing I would add to Mike's comment is the learning curve and the cost factor. I was paid to learn 3DS Max back in 1997 and I've used at least 20 3D modeling applications since then. To this day, 3DS max is my favorite. However, it took me about 3 weeks just to get a coin to rotate. In other words, it's a complex piece of software to learn. On top of that, the current base price is $3,750.00. Most of us don't have that sitting around. I no longer work for the company that paid for my 3DS license, so I'm using Blender. Blender is free! They've added a plugin to check your models for 3D printing, but again, it's got a serious learning curve to it. The truth is, all 3D modeling software has a steep learning curve. One of the easiest to use is the 123D product line from Autodesk (which is also free). However, the product line is somewhat limited.

You might find it easier to cruise a 3D Modeling library. There are a lot of forums and sites that have thousands of 3D models available, often for free. I think a basic membership at Cornucopia3D is about $8 a month, and they have a ton of organic models. Outside of that you can often hire someone to create a 3D model for you for very reasonable prices. Lot's of starving artists these days. If you need help, put up another post and I'll provide links to two or three sites where you can connect with 3D modelers or 3D Model libraries like Cornucopia3D.com or Turbosquid.com. I'd do it right now but I can't remember the names off the top of my head, and my wife is telling me to get off the computer.

PS.

When you get or create a model, there are things you have to do to make it work on a 3D printer. The vast majority of 3D models are set up for animation and display, and are incorrectly formed for 3D printing. Make sure you understand the requirements before you hire someone to make a model for you.

2 people like this.