1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

What is causing this ?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by supercazzola, Dec 25, 2017.

1. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

[​IMG]

The second column from the left is hosed up. But all of the others are okay. I slowed the print down, but have no explanation for why? Is it the slicer doing this ? I’m using Cura.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Can't speak for Cura (not a user) but for most slicers you need to set a minimum layer print time in order to allow things to cool down when the layers get small like that. Otherwise you are putting melted plastic on top of still melted plastic... it ends up looking pretty much like that. Also make sure the parts fans are on full speed once it gets above the first couple of layers.

If the minimum layer time is say 60 seconds and the layer finishes in 30, it will pause and let things cool down before moving on (or it will dynamically slow down while printing, or both)

Kilrah likes this.
  3. supercazzola

I guess that is why I made 20 of the items, and it doesn’t quite explain why some columns were PERFECT and that second one suck mooseballs !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

4. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Did you look at what order they were printing with?
    The slicer often tries to save time by minimizing travel moves, and is not clever enough to know it should equalize cooling times of multiple objects... so it's very possible it's both finishing a layer and starting the next on those, meaning they get 2 layers put on them right after the other with no wait time, but the others get time to cool while that happens and come out nice.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yep, the one thing that is absolutely custom to the slicer used is the toolpaths that the extruder takes.
    Sort of why they are all different :)

6. Michael hineman

I am by far a pro. But looks like the issue is due to retraction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Perhaps somewhat, but since it is only happening at the pints where the layers are smaller it is more likely simply the fact that the extruder is putting melted plastic on melted plastic and that doesn't work :) Stringing is usually a combination of retraction and heat management, but this mostly just looks like the latter. Ignoring the stringing the layers are wildly deformed.

8. supercazzola

The entire object (from the first layer on) for each of the four pieces in the second column, was messed up. But since this was just a 5 x 4 matrix of the same STL file, why did it impact that column only ?

9. Michael hineman

Is your z axis ballscrew bent? Mine was and it only would effect the print every full rotate of the screw.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Try a different slicer. The toolpaths are all determined by that software. See if another one does the same thing.

Geof likes this.
  11. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

I explained it in my previous post. Slicer likely prints your things in a given order like A-B-C-D-E-F-F-E-D-C-B-A-A-B...
    Which means F and A have no time to cool and come out horrid, B/E a tad more so are a bit better, C/D have lots of time to cool and look great.
    Need to see if your slicer has an option to fo A-B-C-D-E-F-A-B... to equalize times, or use other common techniques like minimum layer time/slow down to improve things.

Geof likes this.
  12. supercazzola

Now I understand. Thank you - I’m slow, so sometimes I have to read the same thing in different ways to comprehend.

The sad thing is that yesterday, the R2 stopped printing - it is a v2, with the wired heated bed, and now it won’t heat the bed. Checked both end of cables, so I am going to get in touch with Robo - but first, taking out the multimeter and measuring the resistance across the pads where the wires now are (and where the pogos used to be in the old design).

The quality control on these units is sad.

13. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Did you check both fuses on the mainboard?

14. supercazzola

Ohh, no. Let me look now...

15. supercazzola

I’ll start a new thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WheresWaldo likes this.