1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

What was your first encounter with 3D printing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mike Kelly, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Mine was in 1999. My parents laboratory was having a family day so we got to go and see some of the work they were doing. I don't remember much about that day but I certainly remember their 3d printer.

[​IMG]

It was a FDM printer, and I think had a stationary build platform where x and y all moved together by raising Z, though I don't remember for certain. I remember it was LOUD! Old stepper motors and what not.

The coolest thing they had printed was a putter head, and I remember being super impressed by that. I believe they were printing a skull while they were there. They were handing out these little pendants for the kids. I was worried I lost mine but managed to recover it this weekend.

So what are your stories?

2. NickW

NickW New Member

Actually my first first-hand experience with 3d printing was just 2 years ago, almost within a week from now. I was at work at my university, in IT, and one of our office friends from another department stopped by. He proceeded to hand out little red and green xmas trees that he had just made on some new equipment. From then I started looking into 3d printing and here I am waiting for my ROBO.

Thats a neat story Mike. Its funny you have your pendant from nearly 15 years ago, you should printout a little display case for that.

3. Ben Lindstrom

Ben Lindstrom Active Member

Honestly, my first real encounter was when I bought the Robo3d. I'd read about them, seen videos, etc. But I'd never been in the same room as one.

I've used and seen near computer control lathes, and a few other CnC systems, but all were subtractive and not additive. And all were way out of my budget to play with. =)