1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Whats the best way to polish PLA after printing

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Kirk, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Kirk

Kirk Member

Just wondering if there is a good/quick way to polish PLA after you have printed your job? just to try to smooth some of the lines out or sharpen the edges?

Many thanks

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Sanding and some kind of sealant.

PrintedSolid has shown you can vapor polish with MEK substitute

I've also found that Weld-on 4 is useful for polishing PLA and is a really good glue for it as well.

3. AutopsyTurvy

AutopsyTurvy Active Member

For sanding, try using a rotary tool. A mounted stone bit, one of the cylindrical sort with the rounded end works well, held parallel to the layer lines. Then there's the bits that are like little wire brushes - one of those can be used to smooth out the cruddy bits left from the mounted stone and do some nice polishing. Just very important to keep moving as the friction generates a lot of heat and the moment you realize it's gotten too hot is also when it turns into mush and ruins the surface.

2 people like this.
  4. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I used a heat gun once to fix some prints. I heated it to 190 c and the moving over the spot back and forth till you see the filament looks wet, then with a metal screw driver I pushed in the cruddy parts and they melted together nicely.

The secret is patience. If you crank up the heat, the part will disappear so slow and a back and forth movement over the area slowly but not stopping will prevent the part from being ruined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. B3D Filament

B3D Filament New Member

6. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

Sandra,
    The question you quoted was concerning polishing PLA.
    You posted a link referring to ABS and using Acetone. This process will not work on PLA.

As far as I know, polishing PLA is tough, there are few methods that give decent results and those require a lot of effort.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

MEK (Methyl Ethyl Keytone) is about the closest to Acetone w/ABS you can get with chemical polishing PLA.

2 people like this.
  8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree completely Mark but the problem is where you may live(speaking in side the US right now) some areas won't sell MEK to the public. CA used to. I used to when I worked in a paint store but not recently. The only thing I have seen is as Mike mentioned above an MEK substitute Printed used.

The problem is even they are not the same I tried one and it took so long to vaporize the overall heat began melting the prints. Where as with the acetone it is a 10-15 second process that parts never get even get warm. I wish it were the same for PLA

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Oh, I agree. It is the closest but nowhere near as safe or easy :)

I used a wooden block to isolate the print from the MEK (substitute) while heating, but it still takes longer and (frankly) it doesn't work as well.

I just clean and paint PLA now ... not that hard to clean, buff and paint it to look nice (but it is still more work).
    With ABS you almost got that finish for free.

Although, I wonder if any of the other materials offer that same sort of post-processing (thinking of Nylon or PET or the like)?
    I sort of doubt it.

edit: I bet you could make an ABS slurry and paint the object with that... I might have to try that. Got a fair amount of ABS filament just sitting there.

2 people like this.
  10. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Good idea had not thought about a ABS shell so to speak hmmmmmm
    I do agree the end result compared to the ABS vapor is SHOCKINGLY less at least in my experimentation any way
    Just wish there was a magic PLA solution

11. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I saw a video where the PLA parts were put into one of those stone polishing tumblers filled with small stones. It seemed to work on PLA!

I don't have one but if anyone else does, please try it and let is know if it works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in Canada

12. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

How bout an ABS slurry dip. Dunk the whole PLA part in the ABS/acetone slurry, remove and let dry.

13. cosber

cosber Active Member

Though expensive, Hydro dipping looks like a cool way to hide imperfections and dress up some types of models.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Only downside is that this may hide or obscure some detail on fine/high details prints. Otherwise, this is a really good approach.

15. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

surprised I missed this thread...
    Acetone vapor does work reasonably well on PET. Nothing touches nylon. HIPS polishes about like ABS. Ethyl Acetate(MEK subsititute) works reasonably well for PLA. better for light colors for some reason.
    I've tried the ABS slurry dip. didn't like it.
    I've also tried dipping in a glue slurry (think candle dipping) for investment casting. Works OK.

Spraying with filler primer and wet sanding works awesomely well if you don't mind some elbow grease.

16. BryZad

BryZad New Member

I have just sanded and painted PLA i found that bondo spot putty works well to smooth out some lines in the prints.

2 people like this.