1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

What's the strongest filament so far?

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Red Submarine, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Red Submarine

Red Submarine Active Member

I'm wondering what would be the strongest filament available to us at the moment? I highly doubt the carbon fiber filament will be that strong, as CF's strength comes from its strands and the filament is all blended up, but it is lighter...

Has anyone tested them all? Say the same shape, the same thicknesses, just different materials (ABS, PLA, Nylon, etc.). Then maybe just a note about the final weights of each piece. This would be very useful.

2. Red Submarine

From my research I have found the strengths of a few materials courtesy of matweb.com :

ABS: Compression-65MPa
    Tension-40MPa (30% elongation)

Nylon: Compression-55MPa
    Tension-70MPa (90% elongation!)

3. Red Submarine

Can't seem to edit my post :/

Carbon Fiber Reinforced PLA (from Proto-Pasta):
    Compression-180Newtons
    Tension-n/a
    Stiffness-6560MPa

Taulman 645 Nylon:
    Compression-
    Tension-"expected" at 792MPa w/ 120% elongation

4. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

You can't use matweb data. That's just an average and is not at all representative of printed parts. Even considering standard stress/strain data if you know it for the specific grade of material used in the filament might not mean much since there is a lot of variability in layer adhesion.

I've tested a lot of different materials (browse through my blog to see some).

I think Taulman 645 produces the strongest printed part right now. Nylon printed parts approach the strength of injection molded (not necessarily injection molded nylon, but generally what you would expect from an injection molded part).

The PETs (PET+, colorfabb XT, Taulman t-glase) also give you great strength for a printed part.

HIPS is the weakest.

ABS is also fairly weak for a printed material unless you are really using a lot of layers. The strength to weight ratio is not what you might think when you consider ABS as a material used in car molding parts and legos. It does have nice ductility, flexibility, and decent impact strength relative to other choices. I think that the popularity of ABS as a printing filament will have gone way down by the end of the year.

The carbon fiber filament is NOT intended to be stronger than other materials. It is intended to be stiffer. It really is noticeably stiffer than any other material I've printed with. So stiff that I'm not positive the 3mm will print on bowden machines without snapping.

PLA is actually very strong, but since it is so brittle, it breaks relatively easily and has poor impact strength. If you make a piece and load it slowly, it will take a lot of force to deflect it, but once it does, it snaps abruptly and violently. Likewise, if you drop it too hard, it is more likely to break than other materials.

PLA/PHA is a blend of the two materials that gets most of the strength of PLA with some of the flexibility and impact strength of ABS. I'm a huge fan of this material.

5. Red Submarine

I had seen the Taulman 645 online and was planning on ordering some. I had a hunch that matweb wasn't comparable to anything 3D printed, but it was the best I could find for those materials.

I've also read a lot of your reviews on your blog, great stuff on there.

As far as PETs, those are like epoxys aren't they? I forget the exact term (something like thermoplast...) but once they've been melted, then they can't be remelted because their chemical state has changed, right?

6. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Thanks.

Nope, PET is a thermoplastic. same as ABS, PLA, Nylon or anything else we're putting through our printers.

Epoxies are thermoset polymers. You can't melt and resolidify a thermoset.

Everything you put through filament extruding printer like the robo is going to be either a thermoplastic or something mixed into a thermoplastic (like the wood or carbon fiber filaments). Thermoplastics are polymers that can be melted and then resolidify. All of your recyclable plastics are thermoplastics. As an FYI, everytime you melt and resolidify a thermoplastic, you are damaging the polymer chains. So, recycled plastic will not have quite the same properties as a 'virgin' plastic. Every time you melt it again, you degrade those properties more. That's one part of the explanation around why our 3D printed materials are not as strong as anything you see quoted on matweb. They've already been melt processed at least twice before we extrude them. Once for color compounding (at least part of the batch) and then again for extrusion into filament form.