1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved White Screen on new Christmas present

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Icthys, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Icthys

Icthys New Member

Got a C2 for Christmas and cannot use the machine because the screen is just white. We've followed the suggestions in the video, pulling and reseating cables but nothing has worked. Have sent in a request to tech support but thought maybe someone might have another idea. Would really like to start printing !

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If it had been working at some point then you could totally print without the LCD, but to get it setup for your WiFi and able to print wireless you need to have the LCD working at least initially. If this was bought directly from Robo then you are on the right path, they will need to send you a replacement printer. If you bought it from a reseller (like Amazon) simply exchange it with them for another one -- it might be faster.

3. usafitz

usafitz Member

Mine did that after about a month of printing... turned out that I corrupted the SD card in the Raspberry Pi. After I reloaded it, all was well again.

You can also check the HDMI connection inside the printer, but that’s probably not it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. Icthys

Icthys New Member

Thanks for the replies. My dad got this at a local store for me for Christmas. Its was the last one in stock. I guess I'll have to wait for tech support. I wanted to start printing over Christmas break. Do you think they can help me that soon ?

5. Icthys

Icthys New Member

We did try both ends of the HDMI cable too. That didn't work either. Could we plug it directly into our LAN with an ethernet cable and bypass the wireless connection ?

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can. Use the Ethernet cable and connect it to your LAN. Then check your router to see what IP address it was assigned and you should be able to just point a browser at that IP address and be off and running with OctoPi.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

P.S. you could even use something like putty to connect to the Pi once it is on your network and configure the WiFi manually (if you have some experience with Raspbian or Linux) and then it would work without the LCD. While in there one thing you really should do is to backup the SD card that the Raspberry Pi boots from. Store an image of it for later recovery (on Windows something like Win32 Disk Imager will work nicely).

8. Icthys

Icthys New Member

Partially solved. Tech support got back with us. They sent us a link for a new .img file We had to "flash" that to a micro SD card using a program they recommend called Etcher. Lucky we had a laptop with an SD port. We bought a new 16G card (all I could find) but they said we could have reflashed theirs (only requires 8G) Screen now comes up but we can't get it to connect to our wifi. It won't find any network at all. We're letting it run for a while as this software seems to take forever. Maybe it will find it eventually. One of our tries to juust access the Utilities menu took over 45 seconds to load. And I can't back out of any submenu without turning the machine off and on (and I'm using pencil eraser head as suggested on another string. Stylus doesn't work at all)

9. Icthys

Icthys New Member

No wifi connect for an hour. Tried to set up a wifi hotspot, that failed as well

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sounds like the Pi is either defective or it is not setup correctly for WiFI. I would expect their images to come preconfigured so that WiFi is ready to go, but you may need to get back on the phone with them.

One other problem I have seen is that if your WiFi router is not set for a 192.x subnet then their setup gets more difficult and somethings (like reporting your IP address) are never right.

11. Icthys

Icthys New Member

I'm going to mark this solved but it wasn't really. Unless you say my wife did it. My son is now up and working because of her. I'm writing this up so someone else won't go through the same misery we did. We haven't heard back from tech support (or anyone else I wrote at Robo) for a week now. The reinstall of the flash image got the screen up but it was working poorly and the machine would never connect to wifi. I was ready to just return it to the retailer (who seemed to have stopped carrying Robo) and buy a different product. My wife who worked in retail for years made one final effort and called the store manager. Short version, they are carrying the product again and they agreed to exchange the C2 for another one. We got it today and I have to say its like a completely different machine. My son had it up and running in 1/2 hr. The touch screen works, the wifi came right up and he has already got some of his designs printing. I can't stress enough the difference in the two printers. More than night and day if thats possible. I just hope the retailer doesn't try to sell it to someone else. If your product doesn't seem to work correctly out of the box, don't mess with it. Take it back. The old machine was so bad that even the original SD card was bad, not just a corrupt image. We tried to reflash that old card and it still didn't work. We only got it to come up after we bought a new micro SD card. I realize the tech support folks have likely been busy with the holidays but they've completely ignored us for a week. Disappointing. Lets hope thats the last of those kinds of issues.

OutsourcedGuru and Geof like this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I went a round with defective SD cards today myself. They should have made them easier to get to :)

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I raised this to @Jerry RoBo 3D who will need to know about these things.
    Almost everyone else on here is a user like yourself and that is good feedback.
    Unfortunate, but good to hear. They need to make sure they front-line support is more responsive.

14. Icthys

Icthys New Member

Agree about the card location. It was a challenge even to figure out exactly where it was. Can't even see the slot when you put it back. Gotta go by "feel". We kept the "new" image/SD card and put the old corrupt one back in the machine we returned. I presume if anything happens to the new machine we can put this saved image in to get it back up. Gotta do some research on how to save the any updated image files. Turns out having wifi turned on wouldn't have helped us with the old machine. We don't have an Apple product in the house. The apparently don't have the Android version available yet. Didn't know that until today. But this new touch screen works well so not an issue at this point. Thanks for your support Mark. And the encouragement Fitz and Geof. One new problem. I think the boy is going to be up until 4A tinkering....

mark tomlinson likes this.
  15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Many of us are still waiting on that Android app :)

16. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

@Icthys Welcome to the forums (and glad to see that you're up and working finally).

If you're into coding, check out my own Robo mobile app which should work fine for an Android phone as long as you're on the same network. (The install instructions assumed OSX but replacing the forward slashes with backslashes should work for a PC.) Robo 3D themselves may have their Android app available soon enough from what I understand.

Minimum requirements: git and npm

I've got a number of Robo C2 mods in my repository, for what it's worth.

17. Icthys

Icthys New Member

Dad here. Just thought I'd give you guys a one month in report since you were so much help. He's gone through 1 1/2K of PLA already, maybe closer to 2K Customized it with the fan shroud and his own design nozel cover with his name instead of Robo. So he's having fun. We just bought some PLA from both the local Microcenter and from Push Plastics to compare. Thanks a lot for all of the help. Robo sent him a complimentary spool of Glow in the Dark for all issues. That was a nice touch.

18. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

Coolness.

You might want to check for any caution labels on the Glow-in-the-Dark filament. I've heard anecdotes of some of those causing faster-than-usual nozzle wear.