1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Who's getting a Filastruder??!?

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Seshan, Apr 24, 2013.

1. elmoret

elmoret Filastruder

This is fun.

1.) A letter comes with the kit, letting you know where to find the instructions. This lets me make updates to the instructions on the fly, ensuring customers get the latest version of the instructions. E3D does the same thing.
    2.) The product clearly states that basic tools are needed for assembly.
    3.) You knew it was $10, if you preferred to print it yourself why spend the money?
    4.) You call it "stabilized", the proper term is "fully constrained". No polymer extruder, DIY or industrial, has a fully constrained auger. I explained why on Soliforum.
    5.) This is clearly explained on the Filastruder product page. If you have a nozzle smaller than 0.6mm, you need a melt filter. I guess you didn't read the product page. Again, as I explained to you on Soliforum, wear on the auger/barrel is not the only source of debris - the pellets themselves have debris. The correct solution is a melt filter, which is why industrial extruders use one.
    6.) Covered above.
    7.) PLA MUST be pre dried. Did you pre dry it? The need for pre drying is again, covered on the Filastruder product page. The page you presumably read before purchasing, so I'm not sure why this is (or the need for basic hand tools, or the need for a melt filter) is a surprise?
    8.) With over 1500 units, I have had one reported power supply failure. If yours has failed, I would be happy to replace it.
    9.) If you think you can source it yourself for much cheaper, go for it! Take a look at Lyman's v2 BOM - the design is similar to mine, and his BOM is ~$250 + shipping.
    #10.) If assembled properly, the wooden base does not have to handle ANY thrust load (you call this stress produced by the motor). The thrust is handled by the thrust bearing, the back flange, and the 4 main bolts.
    #11.) I have had one failed heater out of 1500 units shipped. If yours fails and the motor is damaged, I would be happy to work with you on a new one.

Lyman's v5 costs $560. Before shipping - and he has dozens of vendors, so dozens of shipping charges.

In your emails to me a few days ago, you said "So far am happy with the new toy". I am surprised to come across a very different story here.

#81 elmoret, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2014
  2. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

I changed my mind once i switched to PLA and started to see prints failed one after another, thats why.
    I extruded all the ABS i got with little to no issues with size but once i switched to PLA, i needed to print some different hopper with extruded ABS and this is where problems started.
    Once i learned about the flakes i learned about why they are there.

Yes i did not read most of what you refer to until it was too late, but you knew i was getting 1.75 nozzle, why no one recommended the filter ?
    Its like selling a car to person who knows no knowledge how it works (except how to operate it) and not offer him a fuel filter so he wont come back complaining that there is a metal shavings in his injectors that damaged cylinders and blew up the motor.

3. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Sorry :( I feel like i back stabbed you.
    When i bought Robo3d printer i was very satisfied with the the quality etc.
    When i got my E3d V5 hot end, i was AMAZED of its precision and quality but didnt like the tape it came with. It was useless when removed from a piece of paper it was attached to.

Both purchases lead me to believe that i'd get the same with filastruder but i was disappointed of few things it consisted of and how incomplete it was. I had to slice and dice quiet a bit to get it all put together on a2X6 i found laying around (lucky day that was)
    When (after first few meters of extruded ABS) i opened everything up, i realized how nasty the drill bit was cut and how sharp all the corners were.
    Yes i know, Step#1 clean all the burr etc (even thou i found out about this step later) but it was a big slap in my face for thinking i was getting something as good as Robo or E3D V5. Not even close in terms of its "Ready to assemble".

As i reply, i have to clean the nozzle almost every 2mm's. Keeps getting jammed keeps making me (not mad or angry but not very happy either).

Again, am sorry for being a jerk (thats almost my last name) but i expected better and its entirely my fault.

4. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

When you buy a car they don't teach you how to drive it. They expect you already know how. If there are any problems,
    They expect you to take it to someone to fix.

One theme I noticed is that some of you seem to thinks this is an exact science and that everything should work flawlessly. Life has it's problems. Expect them. Deal with them. Learn from them.

5. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

No, first they advertize their car as awesome/dirt cheap, then they ask for money and when you already gave it to them , they ask for drivers license expecting you to know how to drive.
    Exact same formula.
    I bought cars for thousands of dollars that turned out to be garbage when i get home but with all that, i was never so disappointed.

6. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I think this technology is still being homed in. Unless you're paying a lot of money, then it's a given the technology is still in its infancy. Expect road bumps!

7. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

It seems like the problems you are having could of been solved by just doing some research. I barely had any metal chips in my filament, but then again I made sure to clean down the burrs and then cleaned out the pipe.

8. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

I did that, it did help. Probpems like these should not exist.

Anyway here is what i found
    Filter for $20 VS $24. And it comes with 3 spare filters :)
    http://www.b3dprintjobs.com/#!product/prd3/1467692551/1.75mm-nozzle-with-filter
    They also sell their own version of extruder that comparing to filastruder is better and easier to put together (says no power tools required)
    I also ordered 5LB of ABS from them for only $15

I wish i wish i wish i knew this place before. Oh well, like Peter said, this was that one road bump i should have bumped into before i made my purchase.

3 people like this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

@tonycstech,

Just curious - are you still using your Filastruder?

Getting decent results?

10. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Currently not extruding anything but yes i have plenty of pla spools made with great result 1.6-1.8 diameter or even tighter with filawinder. One problem extruding pla using this machine is that motor is constant speed. U cant make it extrude faster or slower. U need to adjust too many variables to get good result. I could avoid adjusting temperature, sag amount,cooling,coil tension etc simply by adjusting the motor speed.
    Ive extruded enough to conclude that lack of motor variable speed, device is far from user friendly.
    I think it was overpriced for what and how it does it.filawinder price was ok, but filastruder should have been quater or less then what they sell it for.($300 or so) $100 would be fair. Thats my opinion.
    U should find my posts on their forums. I sugested some cheap nozzle and filters solutions that kept me going with much less headache

#90 tonycstech, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

2 people like this.
  12. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

yeah but its not for sale.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Design is open source and it works - it's a project!!!!

14. elmoret

elmoret Filastruder

That... isn't true. You still need to control all of those other variables.

If you think a motor speed controller will be helpful, they're $10 on Amazon. I can tell you that you still need to control the other variables, even if you adjust motor speed. Not sure why you'd ever want to run slower.

I gave you the FilaWinder for half off, in exchange for you writing up your PLA experiences.

$100 would be less than the cost of the parts - way less. Wouldn't make much sense for me to sell something for less than the cost of the parts, would it? I also gave you a coupon code for a free melt filter nozzle...

Lyman's design is $600 + shipping. A Filastruder, Filawinder, and melt filter nozzle comes to $485 shipped, and hits better tolerances. (Lyman's hits +/-0.1mm with ABS, even worse with PLA)