1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Why did my print bed burn up?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Suberman, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Suberman

Suberman Member

This is the bottom side of my Robo 3d r1 printer. The bed doesn't heat now and I need help on how to fix this and why did it happen. (I work better from video if you have a link to one) Also what can I do so it doesn't happen again. Do I need to worry about a possible fire? Any help on printing with the bed at room temp until I get this fixed. 20170819_141627.jpg

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There is an entire thread around the way the bed was wired on the R1 printers :) There was even a recall to do away with those connectors...

What Robo did was to eliminate the connector so that the bed was directly wired in. You can replace that connector yourself with Anderson Powerpoles or a Deans connector (I like the 45a Anderson Powerpoles myself: https://www.amazon.com/ANEN-Powerpole-Connectors-Compatible-FlexRadio/dp/B074CSYJ25)

and to answer your earlier question -- yes a fire is not out of the question.

#2 mark tomlinson, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The connector they used was simply not good enough for the current the bed pulls long-term.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you contact Robo they may do the rewire for you if you send them the bed -- they were recalled after all at one point.
    I would suggest just doing it yourself (replacing that connector with a better one is not too bad) since the time it took them to rewire it was about a month turn-around.

5. Suberman

Suberman Member

Thank you

6. Suberman

Suberman Member

Any advice on printing with the bed at room temp?

7. Suberman

Suberman Member

Can I just solder the wire together and print?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sure, you can totally remove the connector. That was what Robo used as a fix if you sent the board back to them.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Not all filaments require bed heat to work. Many do not.
    Adjust your Z offset down slightly and you will probably find that normal height models will stick OK. If you DO have a taller one then add a brim and you should be OK.

10. Suberman

Suberman Member

Is there any benefit to using connectors vs soldering the wires directly to each other? Do you have a diagram to show which wires go to which if I wire directly?

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

connectors means you can take the bed off. The R1+ is a solid wire from heater to board, either way is fine. You just remove one wire at a time and splice togather from the connector. No wiring diagram I'm aware of (but there arnt that many wires :D )