1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Why you should swtich to Cura 15.04.02

Discussion in 'Software' started by Marquis Johnson, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Marquis Johnson

Marquis Johnson Active Member

@tonycstech
    But Cura just started supporting the Robo 3D R1 in the newest version of 15.04.02
    (which was not there before we started communicating with the developers)
    Capture.PNG
    The developers of Cura 15.06 want to make the user GUI for Ultimaker owners to feel seamless. I am sure that Cura 1.00 was not for all printers like 15.04 is now.

So yes, @WheresWaldo is correct. V15 (15.04.02 to be exact) is designed for all printers, including the Robo 3D.
    But 15.06.03 is basically "UltiCura" 1.03, they need to do lots of work before it's up to par with what they have been refining for years.

But I do agree, MatterControl vs. Cura is pitiful.

The benefits? You can easily:
    1. Change the PronterFace UI
    2. Use plug-ins
    3. Make custom plug-ins
    4. Handle errors without freezing the program
    5. Generate supports stronger than MC
    6. Manage profiles better than MC
    7. Change G-Code easier than MC
    8. And it handles models faster than MC
    9. Not only handles models faster, but also has
    - a fast and efficient layer view
    - a handy overhang view
    - an X-ray view
    - and transparent view
    10. You can print all at once, or at different times on the same print.
    11. It can calculate the cost of filament used
    12. Auto detects whether your printer is plugged in or SD card is inserted.
    13. Gives you tips on recommended settings
    14. Allows you to directly ignore those recommendations
    15. And has very accurate dual, triple, quad, AND EVEN 5 EXTURDER setup.

I could keep going, but the list would be way too long.

WheresWaldo and Mike Kelly like this.
  2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Great analysis and clarifying of the situation. 15.04.02 is where it's at

Printed Solid likes this.
  3. nallath

nallath New Member

But 15.06.03 is basically "UltiCura" 1.03 -> It's definitely not designed to be like that. You can see this reflected in the changes made towards 15.09.83.

If robo3d would spend a little bit of resources, i'm pretty sure they can get Cura to work seamlessly with their printer.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I trust you mean the user base.

5. nallath

nallath New Member

Robo themselves could also hire engineers to do this kind of work. Lulzbot for instance has a software engineer that works on Cura. But yeah, both could help in that regard.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I can't see that happening (which is what I was implying).
    It would be good if they moved away from MC, but even with that the involvement is minimal.

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I tried to convince them to switch to cura. The reason they are deciding to stick with mattercontrol is... unsettling.

8. nallath

nallath New Member

I almost don't dare to ask it, but what reason did they give?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Please, let's not all get unsettled. Keep it with @Mike Kelly ;)

10. Bob L.

Bob L. New Member

User forums are great, and as a newbie, I looked at Cura too, and read reviews and tried to figure out what settings would do without actually trying them (because I didn't know what I was doing and didn't want to waste filament). But just like going into a restaurant, there's things that you'll like and things that you won't. For a short time, I had a factory refurbished Robo3D R1. (Again), as a newbie, I wasn't looking to experiment with settings... I just wanted a 3D printer as another hobby device to print a few things from places like Thingiverse, and learn how to create my own things with Autodesk 123D Design... all for fun, with the least amount of frustration. Robo's included MatterControl software does the job, with plenty of settings to tweak and upset the frustration level too. When I print to my Epson and HP inkjet printers, I just want to print, not play with the printer. And that's what I do with the inkjets.
    I had a few problems with the Robo3DR1 and customer service was able to talk me through them and in some cases via Skype and fantastic emails with the best customer service guy I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. (Should I say Jerry... nah, I won't mention his name). The software wasn't a problem, was easy to use, and replacing the extruder was easy too, (although a nuisance). It was other things, like stringing and over extruding. Customer service was very understanding.
    It seems as though some feel that other software would be so much better, and Robo management should change. I'm just an average user, I don't want to tinker, modify the circuit boards, etc.,... I just want to load my file and print... not try to figure out G-Codes and millimeter percentages, and Arduino's, etc. In my humble opinion, (and it's just that) and possibly the opinion of the majority of Robo users, they would probably agree.
    By all means, those who feel a need, should experiment to their hearts content and try and sync and modify as many software packages as they feel as necessary to get this sub $1000 printer to print like a $5,000 commercial unit. I'm sure feedback would eventually be used to enhance future products. But in reality the MatterControl (MatterSlice) software works for the masses.
    There are a number of very smart Robo users on YouTube, and their mods are terrific, but a lot are based on the earliest versions of the printer. Filament roll holders which are useful to all, and easy to print and use make sense... but are all these fan mods necessary when printing PLA? And if so, wouldn't the company (Robo3D) incorporate them? I guess what I'm saying is.... if the 2008 version of Microsoft Word does everything you need and you can use it "with your eyes closed", ... updating to the 2015 version is not going to benefit you. And if the iPhone 5 works for ya, do you NEED the 6S??

As an aside, Yesterday, I received and set up the latest ROBO3D R1Plus I ordered last week direct from Robo3D. Using the good old MatterControl software, it printed beautifully, is quieter during operation than the R1, it's tighter due to some of the upgrades (including the top of the Z-axis rods being firmly locked into the case so there's no movement). I don't want to take it apart, but if I did, (none to the software)... Put a white LED strip inside the top of the case for additional light, and replace the MicroSD card slot for an easier to handle full size SD card slot or USB/thumb drive slot.
    But for me, the included MatterControl software with it's choices of MatterSlice, Slic3r, and CuraEngine variants do the job very well.

Bob L

#10 Bob L., Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    Home_user likes this.
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

MatterControl is very (very) picky about exactly which hardware it works on.
    I don't mean the printer hardware, but rather the Windows machines (it is more stable on a mac).

If you got lucky and it is working, run with it. For novice printer users, when it works, it is a good choice.
    Sadly, for many, it simply doesn't work.

Unlike the HP and Epson analogy you offer, 3D printers are not such that any 'document' you print is likely to work every time :)
    A better analogy would be HP/Epson and all you have is NOTEPAD ... some documents require a lot more formatting controls than NOTEPAD can offer. Can you print a lot of stuff with NOTEPAD? Sure. Can you typeset a book? Nope.

IF MatterControl is working (and there are a number it IS working for) then if you have not encountered an issue -- keep using it.
    When it falls down for you, these other threads are a way to show people how to get the others working or what advantages they have.

Geof, Printed Solid and WheresWaldo like this.
  12. Bob L.

Bob L. New Member

Hi Mark,
    I did not know... "MatterControl is very (very) picky about exactly which hardware it works on.
    I don't mean the printer hardware, but rather the Windows machines (it is more stable on a mac)."

After reading your reply, I guess I'm guilty of what others are doing.... that is, not giving enough detail about WHY they're not happy!!
    I do have my printer connected to a 27" iMac, so I can't speak for or didn't think about problems being mostly Windows related.

When I first got the R1, I could not update the firmware until Customer Support emailed the Hex file to me. And as I briefly stated, as a newbie, I just couldn't understand why many in the Online community were treating the Robo3DR1 like somebody built it and sold it from the back of a truck in a dark alley. (Ok, an exaggeration, but it seemed like everything was wrong, according to reviews).

I agree wholeheartedly with you; "IF MatterControl is working (and there are a number it IS working for) then if you have not encountered an issue -- keep using it. When it falls down for you, these other threads are a way to show people how to get the others working or what advantages they have."... and your point about NOTEPAD is well taken and understood. But I'm not going to tell someone who doesn't typeset books not to use Notepad or a $150 Epson printer.

Some of the YouTube guys are amazingly talented, but because of their skills, their message can be misinterpreted by followers/ viewers who will think they have a problem when in fact they may not! It's just my opinion that some of these reviews (and certain mods) can make it sound like Robo Management doesn't know what they're doing and doesn't care about selling a good, competitive product to their customers.
    My new R1Plus and MatterSlice seem to be doing (for me) everything they're supposed to do.
    I thoroughly enjoy many of the channels and seeing the mods and upgrades... I'm all for experimentation and upgrades and technology, etc., and I respect the knowledge and expertise of some of the reviewers.
    My only point is,... sometimes "good enough" and, "plug 'n play" and ease of use is all that's necessary, and maybe, in my humble opinion, reviewers should note that the problems that they're trying to solve with mods, are not necessarily universal... and should reflect that as well.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Some of the perception about quality on the R1 is due to the fact that happy customers don't post as often.
    The posts are normally about 'problems' :)

More posts like yours are welcomed.

14. Bob L.

Bob L. New Member

Thank you Mark...
    I'm all for posting and reading posts... but I just don't want to think I have a problem if I don't.
    I've said my peace... and I'm sure some will agree and some won't.
    Keep up the good moderating work!
    Bob L

#14 Bob L., Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  15. Lyconthrous

Lyconthrous New Member

I'm in the middle of a experiment, found a test piece of a rook that was for a resin printer, CM printed it at normal quality better then I thought it would. Downloaded Cura and printing the same piece out now. 1st question, is there x, y, and z controllers in Cura? Don't have a LCD yet, problems with the raiser mounted LCD holder not fitting right. So having some kind of control over axis and extruder would be helpful

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

16. Marquis Johnson

Yes, in Cura 15.04. File > Preferences > Print Window > Print Window type > "Pronterface UI"

AdamC likes this.
  17. Lyconthrous

Lyconthrous New Member

Thanks Marquis, seems it only comes up during printing. Did I miss something or is that the way it works.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

18. Marquis Johnson

That's how it works, so you can unplug the printer without worrying about throwing a COM Error. Every time you go to print, the Arduino Restarts.

19. Roderick Reed

Roderick Reed New Member

I have a question concerning the SD card in CURA, You are so right it is a very intuitive program. I am a brand new owner and Matter control was easy to print from the SD card but How can I do it directly out of CURA. I started a 23 hour print and I g-coded using cure and saved to SD card then opened MC to print. it Appears to be working but me being lazy (efficient) I would like to delete MC if possible.

20. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Repetier-host has the best UI for SD printing. Copy the gcode to the sd card then start it from repetier