1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Wi-Fi connection issue. Set date and time

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Joe Duszynski, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Joe Duszynski

Joe Duszynski New Member

So I've tried to connect to my Wi-Fi I enter the WEP key I've tried it in hex and tried just the passphrase neither work everything else connects just fine to my Wi-Fi.

The printers "Hot Spot" feature works fine when connected to 1 computer only and of course that computer can no longer get on my network or the internet when connected to the printer hotspot.

I'm assuming the Date and Time issue has to do with it not being able to connect to the internet because it can't connect to the Wi-Fi. Is there a way to manually set the date and time and or get the darn thing connected to my Wi-Fi.

Thanks.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

First off, which printer -- I assume this is NOT an R1 since it doesn't know anything about WiFi (but you posted this in the R1 section so if it IS an R1 you need to do moire explaining before we can help)

3. Joe Duszynski

Joe Duszynski New Member

Well I was in the R2 section then the lovely website had me register you would assume it would have posted in the section I was originally in... obviously NOT.

4. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

WEP is LONG obsolete, most newer stuff won't have an interface to set up access to a WEP AP. You should really switch to WPA2...

You can likely technically configure it but you'd have to do it via linux command line by SSHing through the wired network port.

5. Joe Duszynski

Joe Duszynski New Member

YOU ARE JOKING RIGHT???

#1 WEP is the default on industrial equipment and ANY COMPUTER.

Using your LONG OBSOLETE then why are CD's and DVD's NTSC/PAL Video ect the list goes on and on still supported on everything in the universe?
    Look WEP is a default protocol been around for years NUFF SAID why delete it AND NOT MENTION IT.

If this is the case then its going back to California.

6. Joe Duszynski

Joe Duszynski New Member

And there is NOTHING ON THE ROBO 3D WEBSITE THAT SAYS WEP IS NOT SUPPORTED ON R2 C2 ect.

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

It is not the printer's fault, it is poor documentation on the Linux side of things with wpa-supplicant.conf. The Raspberry Pi still supports WEP (but come on WPA was introduced in 2003, to address security concerns in WEP). You are going to have to do some manual configuration to get WEP working as that is not the default for Raspian's network stack.

Here is a code except that might work to get WEP enabled. Add it with the appropriate changes for your specific setup to the end of /etc/wpa-supplicant/wpa-supplicant.conf. I am not going to give you instructions on how to SSH into the rPi, you seem intelligent enough to figure that out or to google it yourself.

Code:
    network={
    ssid="<myssid>"
    key_mgmt=NONE
    wep_key0=aabbccdd00
    wep_tx_keyidx=0
    priority=1
    }
    This thread may help https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142139

#7 WheresWaldo, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Because with some work ... it is supported (if the Pi can support it, then the printer does since that is the central hub for the printer).
    What the others are saying is that WEP is not a very secure solution and most places have forced a switch to WPA -- not that it is not workable, but that it is not a default (even for the Raspberry Pi).

9. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Nope. WEP was deemed insecure and replaced by WPA 15 years ago.

Anyone still running a WEP network deserves anything that could drive him away from it.

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Okay, everyone needs to take a step back and a deep breath. I gave an answer that will enable WEP. It doesn't matter if WEP sucks or is the greatest thing since sliced bread (which it isn't). It is what Joe wants to use and a bit of Googling would have found him an answer to how to connect the R2 to a network from 2001.

Just a bit of history, WPA was designed as a wrapper for WEP to resolve insecurities but not as a security standard. WPA2 was the standard. WPS is almost as bad as WEP with regard to security, because the PIN generated reduces the number of available keys.

11. Joe Duszynski

Joe Duszynski New Member

So... @Kilrah @Mark_Tomlinson and @WWheresWaldo

The key thing is and as Waldo put it "BACKUP" I (JoeyD) WANTS TO USE IT ON WEP does not matter about security or whatever..
    That's how I wants to use it.....
    To be honest I do not want ANY SECURITY ON IT AT ALL.....
    If any of you go to a big box and buy something that says Wi-Fi.... IT WILL WORK ON WEP that's how life works.
    Be it an HP, Epson, Sanyo or whatever.. "Printer" "TV" "DVR" "Bla-Bla-Bla" I wanted to play with this format printer but its becoming frustrating.
    So....
    Wi-Fi existed way back long ago before dinosaurs like me and ya-damn'd-kids ruled the earth LOL!
    Needless to say Waldo actually gave a CONSTRUCTIVE COMMENT!!!!
    THANK YOU WERESWALDO! THANK YOU WERESWALDO! THANK YOU WERESWALDO! THANK YOU WERESWALDO!
    THANK YOU WERESWALDO! THANK YOU WERESWALDO! THANK YOU WERESWALDO! THANK YOU WERESWALDO!
    Did I say that enough??? THANK YOU WERESWALDO!

I actually can fix it in Linux as per his code example (he pointed me the right direction) I have that technology BUT....
    We come back to the "Moron Ready" configuration how do you fix this for the Non Tech Folks??
    I personally can fix this problem! Yea for Me!!!Yea for Me!!!Yea for Me!!!Yea for Me!!!....

But say you sell this to Cooter in Hicksville or Tyrone in Dahood how will they get their problem fixed?

They both have WEP neither are technical and neither have upgraded from what AT&T or Comcast provides and neither have programming expertise and both want to make guns!!! LOL! Do you want to help em?? Or let them suffer?? LOL!!

It sucks that the most BASIC WI-FI protocol is not supported in such a cool foreward looking machine but ya have to look back to basic protocols to advance your product.
    Going foreword I can see...
    that most of the community here "LOOK DOWN UPON" a basic WI-FI protocol I guess they snub their nose at Ethernet cables too?? But that too EXISTED BEFORE WI-FI and I can hook up Ethernet cables to this machine AND I CAN ALSO HOOK IT to 10 base 2 wiring and it works just fine and guess what thats how I CURRENTLY solved my problem with an even ancient(er) network LOL...
    So again
    Did I say that enough??? THANK YOU WERESWALDO!
    I will get it working on the Wi-Fi maybe later today and the " TIME THING " is directly related to the internet connection
    NON OF Ya'LL answered the how to set the Time question.. LOL!

I can see you 3 looking up 10 Base 2 wiring after this...
    ENJOY!
    Have a Happy New Year!
    Joe

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you are not relatively tech heavy already, then ... your life experiences with 3D printers (not just Robo) will be either brief or painful :) I know Robo (and other brands) want to sell these as "appliances" but they are not quite there yet.

None of the ones I have used (and although I don't own as large a herd as @Geof I have more than I should) are friendly or easy for the novice printer user... Sadly, I predate wifi... and almost ethernet ;)

Kilrah, WheresWaldo and Geof like this.
  13. Joe Duszynski

Joe Duszynski New Member

LOL INTERNET IS FOREVER FYI your quote is before the redacted post.... golly
    Before I hit "Post Reply" part of you original comment went away......... Imagine that..........

Oh I can tell you that if I am willing to pay 4X the money that I paid for this machine I can call someone and they will answer the phone in English and take care of the problem... In the Robo case nobody answers!! LOL!!

As you said this is marketed/sold as a consumer end "appliance" and IT AIN'T THERE YET!!!

14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

No 3D printer is there yet, if the technology was there then you would be buying from HP, Epson, Brother, Canon, etc. and not from Robo or any other of the current crop of 3D printer manufacturers.

The sorry state of the industry is that Robo is actually good compared to most of the others out there with regard to support. No where does Robo set your expectations for you. If John Noob in Topeka buys with some expectation that what they are getting is something on par with a $199 HP laser printer, they are in for a shock of reality. As much as it might be implied, no where does Robo or any other legitimate 3D printer maker, except shysters on Kickstarter tell you it is plug & play or an appliance, with great 24 x 7 support to make you an expert in any time frame. It is the price you pay for playing with a fringe technology. Just live with it, and get over it.

#14 WheresWaldo, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    Kilrah and mark tomlinson like this.