1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Wifi Power Adapter recommedations

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by mamejay, Aug 29, 2017.

1. mamejay

mamejay Member

Hey everyone,
    I am wanting to add a Wifi power adapter to my Robo 3D to shut it down once a print is completed.
    I have Octoprint setup and running perfectly which I have setup firewall rules so I can access remotely.
    I want to do the same with the power adapter.
    Most of the cheap Chinese ones come with specific phone apps.
    I am wanting to find something that might have a web server built as using the mobile app remote probably won't be doable.
    Has anyone done anything like this before?
    Thanks

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

much more advanced than how I operate, I just flip the switch ;) sorry I cant be of help but hopefully someone will be along shortly that can help you out.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Look at project to remotely control power with the rPi, OctoPrint does have a facility (can't remember if it is a plugin or something configured in config.yaml) that will allow you to control the rPi's GPIO pins or at least some of them. You could use one of the pins to trigger a relay to shut down power to the R1.

4. mamejay

mamejay Member

i know about the relays etc but I am wanting to try and avoid touching mains power. i have found a video where the person is using TP-Link HS100 power adapter and python scripts which can be run from Octoprint. Might go down that road and try it out

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You can hook relays to the spare I/O on the RAMPS (there are a few) and control relays with those from GCode.