1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Wilses' printer

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by wilses, Aug 8, 2014.

1. wilses

wilses New Member

After following tesseract's guide of bed leveling, I was able to make giant strides. However I hit a few snags. The prints have come out almost perfect but always shift a bit towards a certain direction. Here are some images.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. wilses

wilses New Member

Its there anything am forgetting?

3. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

You have to take your bed off and check the y axis set screws are tight and make sure your bolts are also tight. Make sure that the motors are not moving - tighten if they are.

[​IMG][​IMG]

3 people like this.
  4. wilses

wilses New Member

Thanks again.

5. wilses

wilses New Member

Okay Peter, I did that, but still no different. I have a question, must my nozzle home at the left corner of the printer? If not what can I do to change it? Also, on mattercontrol software there's a setting on configuration that says automatic print leveling, I enabled it. Is that automatic bed leveling thing? Thanks for the comment.

6. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

If you have the new version, I think your nozzle centres rather than parks left side.

The auto bed levelling is something you need to configure. I not familiar with the new method.

But luckily the old method should work. Get a business card and move your extruder from left, centre and right side adjusting the z axis rods (hold one side as you turn the other to adjust up or down)

The business card is thick so it will be easier to judge. You put the biz card underneath the extruder nozzle and rock it back and forth feeling for slight tension. Adjust accordingly till it feels the same on all the parts Left, centre and right. Do it a bunch of times till you get it right. Turn off the auto levelling. It's easier this way for now.

Once you have that done, then there is a z axis screw you will adjust for fine tuning the height. Test print using a brim, try 4 times around for now to see if the initial filament is adhering to the bed. Use hairspray, cover the components when laying down. It needs to be lightly coated a few times.

Test print and stop if any problems and adjust either up or down only using the z axis fine adjustment screw. Leave the rods alone or you'll have to start all over again.

PLA at 190
    Bed at 55

Good luck

3 people like this.
  7. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

What direction are they shifted? X or Y or both? I can't tell from the photos.

8. wilses

wilses New Member

I would say both but, Peter suggested its the y axis, so I tightened the screws cos they were a bit loose actually. But still have same problems. Thanks Steve, hoping to improve.

9. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

OK - if it is distorted in both directions then think through what could be causing that. If the distortion is small then a candidate is that the hot end is loose. Try to jiggle the hot end (while cool;)) while your other hand holds both bearings against the rails. If this is loose then carefully check the two screws on the side that hold it in. Use the right size driver because the heads sometimes strip. Note that when the hot end is installed those screws slightly dig into it's plastic or aluminium groove.

Also be sure that you checked the two large bolts in Peter's photos. They hold two Y belt guide bearings and sometimes loosen. Also in addition to checking the Y pulley set screw check the X pulley set screw.

10. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Also make sure the X carriage wiring harness does not catch on anything. Also make sure the fillament pulls reasonably easily. Some friction is fine but too much can stall the steppers.

11. wilses

wilses New Member

I wish to thank you all for the instructions and assistance. Too many names to mention. The printer is fine. Here are my prints. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4 people like this.
  12. wilses

wilses New Member

All the prints are medium quality prints, a whistle, a comb and a phone case (its better than it appears in the picture). There's quite an accuracy in little areas of the print. Only problem is I need to air polish them after this post.