1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Windows 8.1 3d printer support (From Windows Build conference)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ben Lindstrom, Jun 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Lindstrom

Ben Lindstrom Active Member

For those not paying attention to Microsoft (I don't normally). They have previewed their 3d printer pipeline support along with how to use it at:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2013/3-9027

Sadly, like all things Microsoft they went out of their way to invent a whole new XML based vector storage language called 3MF instead of following the community.

Anyways, it is at least worth a peak.

2. Xepol

Xepol New Member

you beat me to it! News that definitely needs followed. Might be possible to get the core arduino mega to parse the XML instead of GCode - in fact, I would be surprised if the community didn't start work almost immedately on it.

3. Xepol

Xepol New Member

Ah, there we go. I had not viewed the video in detail... The 3mf is an intermediary format and leaves slicing and actual printer control (gcode) to the driver. I am betting they'll either ship with reprap compatible drivers for firmwares like the repetier, or they will follow in fair fast order from the community. (they do mention support for serial over usb)

Once a revision of the RAMPS board is designed to work with 3.3v instead of 5v, boards like the Arduino DUE will dramatically increase the capabilities built into the onboard controller on the printers, including native USB communications.

XML is that new as an intermediary format (DAE for example), so I don't expect it will take long for those writing the drivers to interpret the data.

I did see some interesting capabilities for programmers along the pipeline as well.

Regardless, I am kinda impressed they want to be able to support this in any way that might appear native to the OS.

And it certainly won't get in the way of the current method of serial over USB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.