1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Wires broke, soldered, now prints in air!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by ChiiLissa, Dec 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChiiLissa

ChiiLissa New Member

I'm having a bit of a freak out right now because I have orders I need to fill and my printer isn't working.

I bought filament off of eBay and didn't notice that the black plastic that holds the spool was broken, and the filament was also in several pieces. I set it up to print, watched the first few layers and left.

When I came back, the filament was all tangled, couldn't feed properly, so the gears forced the extruder all the way to the top and snapped the red wire on both sides of the printer!

I had my Father come over with his soldering gun and he was able to put the wires back in place. Then we calibrated it the way I did when I first got the printer... 3 TIMES. I've tried restarting my computer and restarting MatterControl. The calibration works fine. I'm able to get it all in place. Then when I click print on something I print all of the time, It dots the top two corners like usual, then it tries to dot the back corner in midair and proceeds to print in midair!

My Father assures me that the wires were soldered properly, does anyone know what else could be the problem? Has this happened to anyone else before?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Send M119 with nothing homed. If they all report open your axis are fine.

Otherwise repeat the calibration. Run G29 from terminal and watch the response codes.

3. ChiiLissa

ChiiLissa New Member

I sent M119, the Z axis was set to "TRIGGERED", so I calibrated again, sent G29 and everything went to open. I set up another print, and it no longer prints in midair, but the black piece that holds the wires is spinning around wildly, and making loud roaring noises. I never paid attention to this piece before but I feel like it shouldn't be spinning like this and I'm scared it's going to rip again.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Does it have a coupling nut on it? You need to make sure that it's inside the plastic idler housing. You should be able to move your X axis back and forth along the bed with it on the same height.

Triggered means it's an open circuit and a switch is not activated or a broken wire.

Open is what you need to see. Check out this video: http://help.robo3dprinter.com/Guide/Homing+Your+Extruder/7

5. insomniac_lemon

You need to loosen the screw on the auto-level probes and move them down (so the bottom of the probe is flush with the bottom of the nut) on the nut and re-tighten it. Make sure the nut the probe is affixed to is properly aligned to allow the gantry to sit on it. This way, when they auto-level they can't hop out and spin around. I'm not sure why they didn't ship like this.

Also, I found that flipping the one on the right (so it was facing the same as the other) was better for the wiring.

6. ChiiLissa

ChiiLissa New Member

Thank you everyone! My printer is back in business today! My Father fixed the physical issues, I updated the firmware, and had to turn auto leveling off, now everything is going smoothly!

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.