1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Wires melted off the hot end of extruder

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Johny, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Johny

Johny New Member

I was printing something overnight it started off good went to bed and when I woke up there was a mess of filament everywhere and the red wire to the extruder was melted off. Any way to fix this other then sodering it I don't have a kit and not much money to buy replacement. [​IMG]

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Can't see your picture so maybe host it somewhere and link to it.
    If the red wire is the heater core they are like a few bucks on amazon for a new one.

3. Johny

Johny New Member

I tried linking it but it doesn't let me because spam protection would you be able to link me to the part I need?

https://m.imgur.com/a/3WTZqgB

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Any vendor will do, 12v 30w ceramic core is what you want.
    As you can see they are ... horridly expensive :)

Best part about Robo, almost all bits are really cheap

Geof likes this.
  6. Johny

Johny New Member

Thanks so much for all the help and quick replies I a greatly appreciate it. Would you happen to know where there's a guide on changing this out when I purchase it.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Just trace the red wires back to the electronics board. They will connect onto one board (the RAMPS 1.4 board which handles the I/O for the Arduino Mega). With power off (of course) just disconnect them from the RAMPS, run them through the bundle to the hotend and there is an Allen screw that holds the heater core into the heater block (forget the size, but m2 or m2.5 I think) loosen it and pull out the old one, put in the new one and gently snug up the allen screw (not too tight)

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If there is a quick-disconnect connector in those wires I leave it up to you to try and re-use it if you like. Or replace it with another connector of your choosing. Worst case just run the wires all the way back to the RAMPS board.

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Johny congratulations on using IMGUR to host your photos, the problem is you used the incorrect link. The one you posted was a shortened link and that CANNOT be used with embedded images, you need to use the link with the actual image filename at the end.[​IMG]

When you want to embed a picture you must either use the link labeled "Direct Link" if you want to insert it in the picture icon above, or paste the link called "BBCode" directly into the forum post you are typing.