1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Wrong temp readings for bed & extruder after replacing pogo pin board

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by m.hunter509, Sep 12, 2018.

1. m.hunter509

m.hunter509 New Member

After Robo sent me a new pogo pin board replacement (the previous one had the infamous multiple pins failure), my R2 is now giving the wrong temps for both the bed and the extruder after replacing the board. The bed hovers around 109°C and the extruder around 23°C. They both fluctuate up and down a degree or so. I submitted a ticket to support and they had me update the firmware, which didn't help. I tried to do a preheat test but it ends up failing with the "Heating failed, system stopped! Heater_ID: 0" error.

All connections are the exact same and I opened the door to the main board (for the first time) to make sure nothing came loose, and all connections are properly placed. Support then said they'll have to research this one and then get back to me, so I figured I'd ask on here for help too.

One thing I did notice is that now when I lift the bed while the R2 is running, it doesn't warn me about needing to re-seat it. The temp still fluctuates too like if it's still on there.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well, that would likely be a bad control board since all of the temperatures behave the same.
    In theory it could be anything from the control board, wiring/connectors, thermistors but since you just replaced the pogo pins I'd bet on the connectors or the control board.

Out of curiosity why replace the pogo pins with more pogo pins and not use the kit that eliminates them? They will only likely continue to be problematic IMHO.

Geof likes this.
  3. m.hunter509

m.hunter509 New Member

Yeah the temps were all accurate until I replaced the pogo pin board. Support sent me the pogo pin board replacement after my last one went out, and they said they're completely out of the V2 bed and am not sure when they're getting more in stock.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Ah, well that would explain it...
    I had hoped that by now they would be ahead of that curve... so much for expectations :(

The fact that both are wrong really makes it look like the pogo pins or some of the wiring/connectors are still at-fault sadly.

#4 mark tomlinson, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  5. m.hunter509

m.hunter509 New Member

Support got back to me this morning and said they believe I need a new main board and most likely a new bed, and sent me the order for both parts. I went ahead and ordered it (I'm a little over a month out of warranty) so I'm hoping this fixes it.

6. weapon121

weapon121 New Member

Yup, that was my issue exactly. It turned out being the main controller board. When the pogo failed, it somehow took the board along for a ride with it.

mark tomlinson likes this.