1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved X axis movement problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Solidur, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solidur

Solidur New Member

I just received a Robo 3D R1 or R1+ not sure which or what the difference is but when trying to use the G29 code prior to printing the X Axis moves smoothly from left to right on the front half of the plate but after moving to the back side of the plate it attempts to move right again and causes this awful rumbling because its unable to move further. Shouldn't it be moving left back closer to 0? What could cause this issue? Any help is much appreciated.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. Solidur

Solidur New Member

I watched the video but it did not explain my issue. I am having an X axis issue and from watching some other videos I was able to figure out my X axis endstop switch is always reading triggered so I think it always thinks that its at 0 and wont move left. Is there an easy way to tell if the switch is bad vs the wiring? Any particular place to buy a new switch that you could point me towards?

Thanks

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Disconnect the wiring and see if the switch still reads closed. The X and Y close when the bed is at HOME and the Z switches OPEN when homed.

Those switches are hard to find an exact match for, but these are close. You do not need the wiring, just the switch and it may not be the exact same size... but it should be close.

https://www.ebay.com/i/322196060760?chn=ps

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Switches used in Arcade cabinets are also close (but not exactly the same). Those I listed above should be good.

6. Solidur

Solidur New Member

Ok thanks for the link and info I had tried to disconnect the wiring from the switch itself earlier today and if I remember correctly it still read triggered. I will have to give it another shot tomorrow to confirm.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If that is true then you are correct -- the switch or the wire is likely bad. You can disconnect the X switch from the RAMPS and read it back with a meter. If it reads CLOSED (close to Zero ohms) all the time then the switch or wire are absolutely bad.

8. Solidur

Solidur New Member

Sorry for the delayed response but I didn't have any free time to check the switch yesterday. I just disconnected the wires from the switch itself and its still reading triggered in the console. so it must be my wires that are bad no?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, that or the RAMPS itself is bad or the firmware is buggered. Those last two are unlikely...
    You can prove the last two are not the issue by tracing the wire back to the RAMPS board under the printer and disconnect it there.
    If it still reads triggered then something else is going one other than the wires or switch.

10. Solidur

Solidur New Member

I disconnected the wires from the RAMPS and ran it again it still said TRIGGERED... any way to check the board vs the firmware?

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Hmm, not easily. You can reload the correct firmware and that will at least make sure it is loaded correctly.
    Did you trace the wire back to the RAMPS and make sure it is still landed correctly?

Does the Y axis work as expected and trigger only when HOMED?

12. Solidur

Solidur New Member

Yes I was able to trace each switch wire back to the board and make sure they are properly placed and attached. I also rechecked my Y and Z switches and they are working as intended. I was going to try and reload the firmware next, would you be able to point me in the appropriate direction?

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

14. Solidur

Solidur New Member

Fixed it thanks for all the help Mark, its working as intended now.

mark tomlinson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.