1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

X-axis Stopped working

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Cody Peterson, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Cody Peterson

Cody Peterson New Member

My heated bed starting cutting out and so I got the fan from Robo3d to cool the board. I got it plugged in and it worked fine but when I went to print something my x-axis wouldn't move. It made a weird sound like it was trying to move but didn't actually do anything. I unplugged the fan but it still wouldn't work. I switched the x and y motor cables to see if the motor had gone out but then the x axis worked and the y axis was doing what the x axis was doing so I know the motors are fine. I reloaded the firmware but it didn't do anything. Any suggestions as to what the problem is.

Nolan Thornton likes this.
  2. polylac

polylac New Member

how fast does the axiy try to move?
    If the speed is to high, it will not move.

3. Cody Peterson

Cody Peterson New Member

I didn't change any of the speeds. It was exactly the way it was before so it should work. All the other axes worked.

4. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Check your connections. When installing the fan, perhaps something came loose. Also check your rod end and make sure something did not com out of alignment. You mist have turned your printer upside down or at an extreme angel to get the fan in. So something might have move out of alignment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Cody Peterson

Cody Peterson New Member

I found out that it was the potentiometer on the stepper driver. It somehow got turned so that there wasn't enough power going to the stepper motor.

6. Rwalker

Rwalker Member

@Cody Peterson Can you show a picture of the potentiometer?

Thank you,

Rian

7. Cody Peterson

Cody Peterson New Member

[​IMG]

The little screw on the stepper driver controls what power goes to the stepper motor. Make sure you use a plastic screw driver when making adjustments if not you could short out the driver. I think that is what happened to mine.

Nolan Thornton likes this.