1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved xxl control going bananas

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Nathan Simers, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Nathan Simers

Nathan Simers Member

I started a print then all a sudden it went crazy IMG_20160313_140906[1].jpg but the print is going and seems fine ill try to turn off and back on when it gets one.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That will likely sort it. Remember that you must unplug the USB cable to actually reset the RAMPS and Arduino.
    The power switch is not enough.

3. Bil Forshey

Bil Forshey Member

This is a common problem with the XXL LCD, I had the same problem with mine from the start, the cause is electrical noise induced through the ribbon cables going to the LCD from the Ramps board. Whenever loads are switching magnetic fields are created in the wires that cause EMI (electromagnetic interference) this noise interferes with the data going to the LCD, it doesn't damage anything but the display will be garbled until you cycle the power. Ferrite chokes help filter out these unwanted signals both getting out and coming in.

To fix mine I got a dozen Split Ferrite Bead Chokes with a snap together plastic housing. I accessed the bottom of my printer and placed them on the 2 power supply 12V cables, all 5 stepper motor cables , 2 heater cables, and the 2 ribbon cables going to the LCD module.

My display has not had any problems since.

I probably didn't need that many, but since I had a box of 100 of them laying around, I thought why not. You can find them on eBay cheap.
    A_collection_of_Snap-On_-_Clamp-on_ferrite_beads.jpg

4. Nathan Simers

Nathan Simers Member

whats the best way to o that would i be best to just go back to the original set up i really am not the best when it comes to this hardware yet

5. Nathan Simers

Nathan Simers Member

the piece is about done i really ont want to turn it off until i got the best game plan.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Just unplug everything from the printer for a minute and then turn it back on.

That will reset the electronics. If you don't want to deal with it happening then something to control the RF noise (like @Bill Fenton is talking about) is the ultimate solution.

I just wanted to remind you that the USB cable is part of 'everything'. Power switch does not kill all power since some of it comes over via the USB.

7. Nathan Simers

Nathan Simers Member

unplugged it all then put it back in so far so good will print soon

8. Nathan Simers

Nathan Simers Member

it still says z enstops hit but printing fine. Its done that since i started using it

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Z Endstops Hit is a response from the G28 command, unless your gcode specifically uses the M117 command to display some other message Marlin will display the last message it sends until the print is complete.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I like using M117 in my startup GCode :)