1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered XXL Controller not working after replacing ramps & arduino

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Valor Props, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Valor Props

Valor Props New Member

So recently I had to replace my Ramps 1.4 on one of my R1+ units. Everything went fine, flashed the firmware to the board and everything compiled. (Had to back step down to 1.6.9 all that jazz) but once I tried connecting my XXL it just shows all the space as solid rectangles on the display. It worked before and I tried a few different ones (I have 5) but they all did the same. I even tried some other controllers that came with the new boards. Now I know the firmware is supposed to default support this as previously it was plug and play. Any ideas? Maybe the ramps board has a bad connector? I'm not really sure what to do and I'd rather not reattach the SD reader and use matter controller again :\

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

There could be a configuration issue with firmware. If you are using the official Robo firmware the XXL is preconfigured to enabled. If you are using some other firmware such as the newer firmware posted here the XXL is disabled in that firmware. The second is that there may be a small adjustment to the contrast potentiometer needed. That pot is usually located under the actual LCD display or on the back side. A small screwdriver can be used to turn the pot ever so slightly in each direction until the lettering comes clear.

3. Valor Props

Valor Props New Member

Downloaded the firmware from Robo directly. The part about the potentiometer doesn't make sense to me only because it's the same XXL that was on it before the ramps board was changed and it does the same thing on the others when I plug them into this printer but not the others. It also doesn't make any noises or does anything when I select options (like trying to preheat etc, I remember the menu well enough not to need to actual see it haha)

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I am just giving suggestions based on what has worked in the past for others, take it however you desire. I just want you to be aware that there are more possibilities than the most obvious ones. Did you unintentionally switch how the cables were installed?

5. Valor Props

Valor Props New Member

Tried the potentiometer, didn't help, only made the screen brighter/dimmer. As far as I know I wired it correctly, I followed the labeling for the ramps board and put everything where it belongs. When I plug it into matter controller, it heats up and runs, just can't figure out why the controller won't work..as I said, I've tried a few different controllers and they all work on other printers but won't on this one. This is the same controller on 2 separate robos

Attached Files:

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but it could actually be a bad RAMPS
    Did you go with a generic one or one from Robo (I ask because the R1+ uses a customized one by default and you can convert it if you do a little work).

Last time I swapped electronics on one of mine I went through 3 new RAMPS boards to get one working one. They are that price for a reason :)

7. Valor Props

Valor Props New Member

That's what I was afraid of. I have a generic one. I may have to swap it out then. Do you think I could just swap the ramps board or should I replace the atmega too? (It's a new board on now)

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Just the RAMPS assuming the firmware loaded OK.

Irritating, but I had to ship two deaders back -- thank goodness for Prime :)

9. Valor Props

Valor Props New Member

Replaced the ramps, same issue but now the controller actually clicks like I'm going through the menu. Still have line 1 & 3 as all rectangles and I've played with the POT

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

well you have three choices* :)
    There are no magic invisible bits that can be wrong.

*RAMPS,. LCD or firmware... I have not personally seen a case where the Arduino would fail and only the LCD not work.

11. Valor Props

Valor Props New Member

I'm assuming it's something with the firmware as the ramps seems to be doing the same thing and it's the only issue I have right now. I've used all my LCD's on it and they all do the same on only this printer. I'm trying to figure out the firmware...it didn't work with the firmware directly from Robo. So I'm trying to figure it out from there but I'm also not too experienced with Marlin yet haha

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The LCD settings are minimal.
    #define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER //robo

Make sure that line is uncommented (no // at start of line) for the one you are using.

Make sure this one IS commented out (starts with //):

// ==> REMEMBER TO INSTALL U8glib to your ARDUINO library folder: http://code.google.com/p/u8glib/wiki/u8glib
    //#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER

13. Valor Props

Valor Props New Member

Yup, tried that, the u8glib part I'm still a bit confused by though. But this is what I have and just tried with no change.

Attached Files:

14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Those lines should all have double // not single /

15. Valor Props

Valor Props New Member

Haha got my hopes up...they were, just was scrolled to the side a bit xD

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Then you have a bad ramps :)
    Still.

If you have a spare arduino, feel free to swap it for a test (although I doubt that is it). You need to reload the firmware for that.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You do not need or want UG8 lib with that LCD controller. The full graphic uses that...

However I also doubt that including it will cause your problem.