1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Y-Axis Bearing Issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by anmael, Feb 21, 2018.

1. anmael

anmael New Member

Hi, I've had a RoboR2 for about 5 months now, and mostly it has been treating me well. However, in the last couple of days I noticed that the right-side (looking from the front) 8mm y-axis rod is covered in an oily black film, and that when it spins on itself (when the extruder assembly moves along the x-axis) it makes a metal-grindy-scratchy noise.. The rod seem to be straight and not bent, and print quality does not seem affected.
    What could it be? Also, does Robo uses bushings or bearings in the y-axis?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

X and Y use bearings in the Extruder Assembly and Bushings in the rail holders.

3. anmael

anmael New Member

Ok so I'm talking about the right bushing.. any clue as to why would it make it's rod black, and make a grinding noise?

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

No idea, it is a brass bushing, so unless the gantry is a bit out of square and it is running with a bit more friction I can't give you any good ideas. I do not use oil or any other kind of wet lubricant on my rails, rather a paraffin based lube. But that is because I use the same lube on my very clean bicycle chains to keep them very clean and well lubricated. That also works for me on the linear rails of my printers.