1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Y axis crash

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Sean Carson, Mar 25, 2016.

  1. Sean Carson

    Sean Carson Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2016
    Messages:
    155
    Likes Received:
    22
    I replaced the middle plate on my R1+ and have had this issue ever since. The build plate just crashes, like it's trying to move too far forward. Everything is connected right and the switches are working fine.

    skip to 40 seconds

     
  2. See Attachments.
     

    Attached Files:

  3. Sean Carson

    Sean Carson Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2016
    Messages:
    155
    Likes Received:
    22
    It's not the ribbon cable. There is plenty of slack.
     
  4. It may look like it, but underneath it can be loose causing it to catch on the gears. If not the ribbon cable then take a look at the insulator for the heating element underneath to see if it's sagging and catching on the gears.
     
  5. Sean Carson

    Sean Carson Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2016
    Messages:
    155
    Likes Received:
    22
    How did I miss that? It was making a small bump that would hit the middle plate. Those are some really tight clearances.

    thanks
     
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

    mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2013
    Messages:
    23,597
    Likes Received:
    7,311
    You have to really look hard to see that stuff under the bed :)
     
  7. mjensen2k

    mjensen2k New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2016
    Messages:
    12
    Likes Received:
    7
    For those looking, this was a problem for me as well! I've downloaded the new ribbon cable clamp and will give it a go.

    To help others (search terms that I tried):
    Binding ribbon
    Ribbon stuck
    Y-axis limited
    Short y-axis

    I'd been printing on this for a month or so now and even on the bed leveling, it would 'thump' on higher Y axis. I hadn't bothered too much with it until I wanted to really stress the boundaries of the area. I then found I only had about 215 vs. 254. I eventually found the ribbon cable binding under the bed and causing problems. Not an intended limitation of the machine.

    This also led to some goofy Y axis coordinates (it was really at 215, but after 'thunk thunk thunk' it though it was higher. Then when it went down to the lower limit, it was below zero by the 'mm of thunk'). I'm going to post about this separately as it confused me for quite a while.
     
    Rigmarol, Geof and mark tomlinson like this.

Share This Page