1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved Y axis just got LOUD

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by 3CD, Jan 11, 2018.

1. 3CD

3CD New Member

The other day, I was printing duplicates of the same small quadcopter part one after another. At the end of one of these prints, when the Y axis moved forward to display the finished product, it was much louder than usual. It didn't grind or anything; it sounded about the same, only twice as loud. I printed another copy with the same results.

The Y axis isn't loud when it moves as part of the calibration process at the beginning; it only gets really loud when it slides forward at the end of a print. It slides back and forth effortlessly and almost silently when disconnected from the belt. The splined part that drives the belt feels notchy when turned by hand - kind of like the knobs on some outboard pro audio gear.

Where should I start? Any advice is appreciated.

2. 3CD

3CD New Member

Y axis just got quiet again. All I did was drop a tiny bit of oil around the splined part and put everything back together. We'll see if the problem returns...

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yep you'd be amazed how angry printers sound without oil. I do R and M once a week on my machines ( lots of run time) I'd suggest starting a "schedule" for your machine. start at once a month of light use or every other week if heavy use. Clean, oil, check belt tension etc etc. If it happens when doing it every other week you know you also warrant a once a week due to being a heavy user (its a good thing :D )

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is the LM8UU bearings song of pain :)

Geof likes this.
  5. 3CD

3CD New Member

Thanks for the replies. Is the LM8UU bearing the part that the splined part I mentioned (I don't know its proper name) sits in? I put a tiny bit of 2-stroke motor oil (what I had handy at the time) into a syringe, and tried my best to get the oil down in there. Is there a recommended lubricant to use for this purpose? Also, is there a good thread about maintenance and lubrication for an R1+ that someone can link me to? Thanks again.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There is a thread on maintenance (well more than one, but here is an example):
    http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/suggested-maintenance-and-accessories-not-mods.8865/

I usually use a bit of lithium grease for the bearings, but pretty much anything reasonable will work.
    No -- WD40 is NOT reasonable, nor it is a lubricant, but there you go :)

This is the LM8UU and it is what all of the smooth round (8mm) rods use :

https://www.amazon.com/Sintron-LM8UU-Bearing-Bushing-Printer/dp/B00OCK50YK

That is merely an example, not a suggested vendor. Look around, they are available in a lot of places. The ONLY caveat is that some of the cheaper, made-in-China ones are not the best quality (which might be your problem now).

7. 3CD

3CD New Member

Thanks again for all the information. Please excuse me while I do a bit of reading. :)

mark tomlinson likes this.