1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Y-Axis Not Working, I've Tried It All?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by ItsSpookyBaby, Sep 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ItsSpookyBaby

ItsSpookyBaby New Member

I've been having some serious issues with my R1+ starting just the other night. I was just starting a print and the printer stopped repositioning in the Y axis, and now it refuses to move the bed at all. It was trying to print and just kept sweeping the extruder nozzle through the filament it had already dispensed, so it doesn't seem like a software error.

To try and troubleshoot why:
    I've swapped stepper drivers around and it's always that axis/bed movement that doesn't work.
    I've swapped cables on the X and Y pins on the RAMPS to see if it is the stepper motor, the motor appears to work but then with the cables swapped the other axis doesn't work.
    I've completely replaced the RAMPS with an aftermarket one and the exact issue persists.
    Zero issues with the belts, I can get the bed to move easily by swapping X and Y.
    End stops appear to be working correctly by using G Code command to check.

So, what's left for me to try? Am I really down to dealing with a new Arduino? Any thoughts?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

its possible. if you remove the belt from the motor for the y does it run? its possible something is bound up. Other than that it seems like you've replaced everything but the wiring and arduino. One thing comes to mind and that you may need to tune the stepper driver.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Then it is (in order I would check them) the:
    1) stepper driver for that axis (these are cheap)
    2) RAMPS board
    3) Arduino board

All the parts can be had from Amazon and are fairly cheap

4. ItsSpookyBaby

ItsSpookyBaby New Member

The Y motor definitely runs, when I swap the X and Y axis wires on the RAMPS I can get whatever is plugged into X running and whatever is plugged into Y refuses. I feel like that also rules out the stepper driver out because I can get that driver to move the X axis if I swap just driver locations.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Then it is the RAMPS or the Arduino (assuming the wire to the motor is fine and it looks like you checked that)

Less than $20 for each of them on Amazon or get one of the full kits like @Geof and I normally suggest. Has all the parts for about $40 (includes an LCD too)

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

7. ItsSpookyBaby

ItsSpookyBaby New Member

I swapped out the RAMPS to one of the BigTreeTech 1.6 boards because I was curious and the problem followed.

Is that link missing steppers? And considering I paid only $300 for the printer and $15 for the new RAMPS board I put in it last night, I could be worse off.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That link includes only electronics, not electrical so -- no steppers.
    If the problem moved with the RAMPS then there you have it :) $15 fix if you buy just a RAMPS.

Only thing I will say in warning is this: A few times I ordered just RAMPS boards and got defective ones in (no problem, Prime covers them replacing/refunding them) but I have never gotten a bad part from one of the kits (and I have purchased two). @Geof has used those as well and AFAIK -- no issues from the kits. That is merely anecdotal evidence, granted, but that is what I have seen :)

#8 mark tomlinson, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    Geof likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you need steppers I can link to those as well -- usually $10-15 each (cheaper if you buy a set)

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ditto. I only buy the kits now (try to only by the Kuman kits on amazon) and have had zero fallout. individual boards/drivers etc are a crap shoot in my experience.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. ItsSpookyBaby

ItsSpookyBaby New Member

I ended up buying that OSOYOO bundle because I have interacted with some of their other products previously, my only complaint construction-wise on it was that the stepper driver mounts on the board were turned slightly but still parallel to each other, like they were jigged and soldered on a tiny bit crooked.

BUT THE PRINTER WORKS! I swapped the RAMPS board in the kit in to double check that was the issue, it persisted, so I swapped to the new Arduino and it works like a charm.

Now to tune the stepper drivers, I have more motor chatter and they run hotter than they used to.... Thanks for all of the suggestions, all <3

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Awesome. That is why you get the kit :) I would seriously have expected the RAMPS over the Arduino, but as you saw -- that is not the case and having all the parts makes sorting it out easier.

Geof likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.