1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Your opinion: MatterSlice vs Cura Engine Vs Slic3r

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Louis Tiger, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Louis Tiger

Louis Tiger Member

I tried printing a simple gear to test the three slicer types - these are my results:

MatterSlice: printed slower than slic3r but faster than cura. Had the best result.

Slic3r: About 10% faster than MS, but printed a funky shaped hole and had extra unwanted lines

Cura: would not calibrate properly and could not get to print, and estimated print time was much slower than any other.

Just from these, it seems like MS is superior - what is your experience? Is there something I'm doing wrong?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Not my experience at all. Matterslice just doesn't work well for very complex models. I use Slic3r mostly since I can adjust more things, but if you examine the gcode of identically sliced models, you will probably see that Cura has better code with less tool moves than Slic3r. also in Slic3r NEVER use "Avoid crossing Perimeters", Slic3r does a good job without this set and that feature just messes things up usually. One thing I don't like about Cura, the developer can be a hard ass when it comes to adding new features. Example; it only has one infill type (reluctantly he added a couple in the new Cura, which still isn't compatible with non-Ultimaker printers, no offense to the work @Marquis Johnson has done), when asked to add hex or triangle he basically says 'there is no proof it is better, in fact it is less strong than rectilinear.' Then refused to add it. When both are set up correctly and tuned, you should get better results from either than from MatterSlice. What I like about Slic3r is that you can use modifiers, sections of your model that will print differently than the rest, all in the same model. In my tests, Cura prints faster especially if there are a lot of small perimeters, Slic3r just makes too many tool moves to accomplish the same thing that Cura does with a fraction of the moves.

One note about Cura 16.04.xx, although it still doesn't add more printers, there are printer configs in their GIT repository that can be downloaded and added if you want official Robo support right now. I am sure daid will be releasing a newer version with more printer support soon. Just in case your wondering about daid, he is the original developer of Cura, then Ultimaker hired him to work on it full time, it is kind of like 3DR in autonomous airship controllers, a hardware manufacturer that contributes to the development of OSS by paying programmers to work on it.

apwolf likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Agreed. It is OK for starting on, but most folks will eventually outgrow it by getting more complex models they want to slice and print.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I didn't care for how matterslice handled supports and there was some other issues I ran into with it.

It was especially annoying that mattercontrol would not run autolevel every time. That's really what drove me away.

Cura software (15.04) is my favorite for free slicers. It's simple to use and a clean layout, but still a lot of customization capabilities. I'd like to see Robo license a version of cura.

Slic3r is ok, but sort of getting onto the too complex for the benefit end of the spectrum. It also has some weird bugs that make it take forever to slice.

Repetier host with cura engine is also a good option. As you can also use slic3r and skeinforge.

That said simplify3d is the best of the "complexity but with high value". I wouldn't suggest it for someone just starting but it can do pretty much anything you want.

apwolf and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. apwolf

apwolf Member

Upgrading this today after reading the posts. Super helpful. Thanks

Sent from my One Plus One. Don't be evil.

6. apwolf

apwolf Member

Mike have you upgraded to 15.04.2?

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Just minor bug fixes in all versions of 15.04

8. apwolf

apwolf Member

Installed today, works great, I like how it handles support, much better than matterslice. Gcode seems cleaner with less little moves. Have not tried rafts yet.
    For cura as a software I miss material profiles and in print settings such as being able to turn the fan off when I want to, increasing the extrusion amount or speed/ decreasing. It also seems a little laggier than matter control.
    Everything else is top. Glad I made the swap. Thsnks guys!!