1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Z-Axis Alignment issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by SeeingBlue, Jan 5, 2018.

1. SeeingBlue

SeeingBlue New Member

I've been having an issue with my printer's Z-axis.
    I've been using the follow 2 support articles to help me align the Z-axis.
    Misaligned-R1-Z-axis
    Z-Axis-endstop-fix

Following those two guides I am able to get the nozzle to pan across the bed at the same distance from the bed all the way across, problem is when I do this, it will not home properly because the right side end-stop is triggered before the nozzle ever touches the board. To fix this I have to adjust the z axis so that the left end-stop triggers before the right when the print head is on the left side of the bed, which is where MatterControl homes by default. When I do this then the nozzle isn't level to the bed and prints won't stick on one side of the bed.

I can't figure out what's wrong. Everything looks in the right place, everything is tight, both left and right end-stops appear the same. I don't know what I'm doing... help please. o_O

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not familiar with the documents you referenced, but watch this video.
    Covers all you need to worry about:

3. SeeingBlue

SeeingBlue New Member

I've seen that video, followed it, but when it's done the right end-stop is triggered when the axis lowers but long before it ever touches the bed.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Then you might have a Z stepper or stepper driver going bad. If the crossbar is lifting off of one switch before the extruder hits the bed then they are not moving in tandem and something is wrong with the drive.

edit: assuming you had them positioned correctly and that it is in fact triggering before the extruder hits the bed.

#4 mark tomlinson, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The R1 uses a single stepper driver for both Z steppers, but the R1+ uses one for each. If you have the R1+ then it may be a stepper driver or the stepper motor. If you have the R1 then it is probably a stepper motor.

6. SeeingBlue

SeeingBlue New Member

It's the R1+. How can I tell for sure if the right-side isn't behaving properly? It isn't obvious as far as I can tell, but in theory it may be possible that one side just isn't working and being lifted only by the left side. I'm just guessing now though..

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

you should be able to see the leadscrew either turning or not turning.

8. SeeingBlue

SeeingBlue New Member

If it didn't turn then it wouldn't move at all right? The left side couldn't force the rod to turn on the right. It moves as far as that goes.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It may be turning, but not enough if the stepper driver is not sourcing enough current.

edit: also a bad stepper will miss steps on its own which is why you can't rule that out without testing on another driver.

#9 mark tomlinson, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    Geof likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sad part is that a single Z stepper driver is rated for both and on a standard RAMPS board you can just run them both of the one Z stepper driver*. The R1+ removed that option (second Z stepper connector is removed).

They took the second extruder output on the RAMPS and repurposed it for a second Z stepper

*and really should

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Can you take a video maybe? I think maybe I'm not understanding what you mean and a video would be helpful so we can get eyes on what your seeing.

12. SeeingBlue

SeeingBlue New Member

I go to lunch in 10 minutes. I'll capture a video then. Thanks guys.

Geof likes this.
  13. SeeingBlue

SeeingBlue New Member

Prior to the video I lowered the nozzle with the lead screws until both end-stops clicked, then I further adjusted them until the nozzle moved across the bed evenly. In the video I slide the nozzle across the board to demonstrate that it's level then I tell MatterControl to go Home. It actually behaves better than usual in this video, sometimes it doesn't even reach the board. When it does touch the board it triggers the right end-stop first and the nozzle is left sitting in the wrong position, too high.

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

on the right side where you are pushing down that is bad. something is loose or not sitting properly. You should be able to lift the x axis off the switches and both sides drop back into place on the switches. I'd start by ensuring everything is seated correctly and there is no excess plastic or dirt holding up that side.

15. SeeingBlue

SeeingBlue New Member

It's almost like it's dragging or I'm not aligning the z axis properly? But I don't know how that's possible if the nozzle moves across the bed evenly? I greased the rails.

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

are you using a piece of paper as a feeler guage to check the distance is the same between the nozzle and bed on both sides? I didn't see that in the video.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Is the nut that the switch is mounted/engaged and seated up into the carriage fully on both sides? If it is slid down you might see what you are seeing. There is a nut you can loosen to allow you to slide the mount for the switches up and down on the nut body.

Geof likes this.
  18. SeeingBlue

SeeingBlue New Member

Yea, I've been using a business card to gauge the distance. I didn't do that today though, I just eyeballed it for the video.
    I did play with the bracket that hooks above the z rail. It has a screw that tightens itself over the large brass nut. It was a little lose at first, but I'm not sure what nut you're talking about. I will have a good look when I get home today. Any more suggestions and I'll look at those too. Thanks!

Geof likes this.
  19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

the nut is the brass long "block" that threads onto the z leadscrew (the only brass thing on the Z) the nut and bolt you tightened snug the plastic mount up against this nut.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That large brass nut. It needs to fully engage up into the carriage. If one of the brackets is at (for example) the bottom of that nut and the other up closer to the top -- you are uneven. In reality it does not have to be that extreme. You can compensate for that from a Z level standpoint by adjusting the Z rod on that side ... so the position of the nozzle itself may not be a great indication. However that will cause autoleveling to fail...