1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Z Axis Clicking

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Triscious, May 7, 2018.

1. Triscious

Triscious New Member

I feel like I've been fighting issues with my printer more than I've gotten to print with it. I've manged to get through most of them okay but my newest one is leaving me stumped and frustrated.

Prints are starting just fine,great first layer, part of a good second layer, but then there's a click from the z axis that happens every few seconds and a shudder that you can feel in both leadscrews that accompanies it. Whatever layer it was printing then appears to be extruding from a slightly higher offset than it had been printing at.

I'm usually finding that filament has been chewed up by my extruder and is bent between the hobbed bolt and the cold end at around the same time. Not sure if that's related or a separate issue.

If someone can at least help me figure out where to start in fixing this I'd be very grateful!

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Triscious. You may want to start with the easy stuff. Manually raise the Z up, clean and lubricate the Z rods (the threaded and the smooth). Then you'll want to try again, pay special attention if it messes up again to ensure no wires are holding up the movement. Please report back what you find (if anything).

Thanks!

3. Triscious

Triscious New Member

Tried those steps with no luck. All of the wires seem okay. Ordered new stepper drivers so that I can try swapping them out.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

and make sure your initial Z offset is actually high enough that the nozzle is not pressed onto the bed (you can't push filament through then --> Clog)