1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Z-axis starts printing 4 inches above the bed-R1+ Printer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Blakjak89, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Blakjak89

Blakjak89 New Member

So my Robo 3D R1+ tries to start printing almost 3-4 inches above the bed. Is this a calibration problem, or am i missing something in the gcode? I've tried uninstalling Mattercontrol and its files, hoping this would trick it into resetting, but that didn't work. I've tried everything that I can think of and could really use the help, Thanks.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

There are micro switches located on each side of the X axis. Each one must be pressed up against the bottom of the axis brackets ort else it will just move up and up before it starts.

3. Blakjak89

Blakjak89 New Member

Where exactly are those switches? Are you sure they are on the X-axis, if so do I need to flip it upside down to see them?

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

They are underneath the two plastic brackets that hold the X Axis smooth rods.

5. Blakjak89

Blakjak89 New Member

does the head need to be all the way down or does that position matter?

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

As long and you can see under the plastic brackets then it really doesn't matter how high up the axis is. The switches will be plainly visible and each has two wires connected to them that hangs straight down. There are a bunch of pictures on this forum already, I do not have one handy right now.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

#7 mark tomlinson, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  8. Blakjak89

Blakjak89 New Member

I found the switches, but only one is touching now. (the one on the right hand side). is there a simple fix to this?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Loosen the nut on the back side and slide the mount that holds the switch up against the bottom of the crossbar. With the extruder up off of the bed you want both switches to be closed.

10. Blakjak89

Blakjak89 New Member

All that work and now it tries to print "backwards" meaning up in the air...it still levels in the air not on the bed

11. Blakjak89

Blakjak89 New Member

When I run G Code, my x is -0.00, y is 0.00, and z is 1.00. is this correct for leveling?

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It levels where the switches are read as OPEN which tells the printer that the extruder nozzle is on the bed. If it thinks that is the case when the extrduer is in the air then something is wrong and
    1) a switch is open (when it should be closed) or
    2) a wire/connection is broken or open or
    3) there is an electronics problem (bad board).

Start working through the list. Those Z switches are how it senses the bed and if they are incorrect it will absolutely never know where the bed is correctly. When it senses a open switch it thinks that IS the bed and that will become the new Z 0.0 point.

Geof likes this.
  13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If your nozzle doesn't ever touch the bed when it autolevels, you have a switch issue. Either a bad switch, wiring not connected right, mispositioned (or a few other extreemely unlikely things). Add some photos of both switches as they sit now if you could please.