1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Z does not advance

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Knightro2, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Knightro2

Knightro2 New Member

This is almost the exact same issue I have been having since last night but with any of the 3 spools (2 PLA and 1 ABS). I can manually extrude fine. But as soon as it goes to print it may lay down 2" of the perimeter and then nothing. Yet the extruder motor is turning and I can feel the filament "jumping" like it is trying to be pushed down but not going. I'm going to check my z offset now and will you know.

Side note: I had called into the tech line and they recommended me to oil it so I did the whole vegetable oil on some filament and ran it through but it did not resolve it.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Start a new thread plz.

Moved this one for you. Similar problems are not always the same cause.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Manual extrude means that the electrical and mechanical bits are working. I would look more to the software side of things (like trying a new slicer).

Often this sort of problem is a offset issue (too close, can't push plastic out, etc.) but if the Z is never advancing then the slicer has probably done something silly. Particularly if you can manually raise/lower the Z from the host program.

4. FrankArmor

FrankArmor New Member

Have you changed slicers? Are you sure that your extruder temperature setting hasn't changed.

I have used S3D and in setting up to try Cura 3.1 recently I copied my Start Gcode. In the S3D, I had a M109 S[extruder0_temperature] line. Well, Cura does not like that line and sets the extruder temperature to 0 (zero) when it hits that line. However, Cura puts in a M109 statement before adding my Start Gcode so the prints would start and I'd walk off but they would stop extruding. I'd come back to very little extruded and the extruding trying to feed but not extruding. It took me a couple prints to look at the extruder temperature and see it set at Zero. Shortly after getting our R1+ last year, we added an LCD and we do use RaspberryPi3 with OctoPrint. Both helped diagnose the cause.

For PLA, we took a piece of sponge with one drop of oil and wrapped it around the filament above the case. We clamped it with a spring clip. That made a world of difference in PLA printing.